Worker Protection Standard Posting Requirements
Jan Hygnstrom, Nebraska Extension, reviews WPS requirements regarding posting at fields or enclosed spaces when agricultural pesticides are applied.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:20.706]The REI is listed on the pesticide label
- [00:00:22.876]under Agricultural Use Requirements.
- [00:00:26.279]WPS has an REI notification process.
- [00:00:28.769]When a pesticide is used, you might have
- [00:00:31.151]to give oral notification,
- [00:00:32.591]that’s telling people,
- [00:00:33.861]or you might have to display a sign
- [00:00:35.891]or post a field to inform others
- [00:00:37.691]about a pesticide application.
- [00:00:39.431]For some pesticides,
- [00:00:40.751]you may be required
- [00:00:42.101]to give oral notification and use signs.
- [00:00:45.695]Requirements for using signs also depend
- [00:00:48.135]on the length of the REI.
- [00:00:50.135]For outdoor applications, you must post
- [00:00:52.435]a warning sign at the field
- [00:00:54.075]if the REI is more than 48 hours.
- [00:00:57.425]If the application is in an enclosed area
- [00:00:59.755]like a greenhouse, mushroom house,
- [00:01:02.015]or a poly house, you must post a sign
- [00:01:04.605]if the REI is greater than 4 hours.
- [00:01:08.305]Otherwise, for either outdoor or
- [00:01:10.315]enclosed area applications, you can use
- [00:01:13.275]either oral notification or use signs.
- [00:01:16.175]Make sure to look at the label
- [00:01:17.975]for any specific directions.
- [00:01:21.015]Post warning signs prior to the pesticide
- [00:01:23.535]application, but no earlier than 24 hours
- [00:01:26.735]before the scheduled application.
- [00:01:29.505]Warning signs must remain posted
- [00:01:31.565]throughout the application and any REI.
- [00:01:34.605]Remove or cover warning signs
- [00:01:36.565]within 3 days after the end of the REI.
- [00:01:39.185]If there is no REI, remove or cover signs
- [00:01:41.915]when the application is finished.
Log in to post comments