Merger Ceremony: Nick Capparelli
Alumni Association President Nick Capparelli speaks at the July 1, 1968 ceremony marking the creation of the University of Nebraska at Omaha.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.450]Governor Tiemann,
- [00:00:01.840]Chancellor Hardin,
- [00:00:03.320]President Naylor, Regent Spire,
- [00:00:05.020]ladies and gentlemen, all.
- [00:00:07.090]We commemorate today a happy event.
- [00:00:11.051]The University of Omaha has not ended its existence
- [00:00:13.860]except in a bare legal sense.
- [00:00:17.010]We mark only the beginning
- [00:00:18.740]of a new phase in its continuing life.
- [00:00:23.060]A university is not only a creature of law,
- [00:00:26.860]it is perhaps first and foremost an attitude.
- [00:00:31.270]For 60 years the attitude of this campus
- [00:00:34.360]has been one of sensitivity and responsiveness
- [00:00:37.707]to the needs, the hopes
- [00:00:40.670]and the aspirations of the place
- [00:00:43.010]in which it sits.
- [00:00:45.590]Because its roots are deeply embedded in Omaha soil,
- [00:00:50.900]it will remain cognizant of the needs
- [00:00:53.920]of those people as well as the needs
- [00:00:57.110]of the people in the entire state which it now serves.
- [00:01:02.730]Because of its merger, its horizons
- [00:01:05.190]and its facilities will have been broadened,
- [00:01:08.290]its scope of service has been immeasurably enlarged.
- [00:01:15.270]Because the future of any human institution
- [00:01:17.970]must in part at least be measured
- [00:01:22.160]in the terms of its history,
- [00:01:24.810]those of us who are a part of the past
- [00:01:28.700]owe the obligation of continued support
- [00:01:32.800]in the future.
- [00:01:35.597]And we owe the future of the University of Nebraska
- [00:01:38.460]at Omaha a deep conviction
- [00:01:41.980]in its desire and in its ability to serve us.
- [00:01:47.000]We owe it the financial and moral support
- [00:01:51.000]that all human institutions which have served well
- [00:01:54.790]in the past deserve,
- [00:01:57.640]and we owe it the obligation
- [00:02:00.190]to let it show us and our children
- [00:02:03.340]the way to a fuller and richer life
- [00:02:06.860]through higher education.
- [00:02:09.970]To these things then the alumni of the past
- [00:02:13.760]dedicate their efforts of the future.
Log in to post comments