Merger Ceremony: John D. Blackwell
Art Department Head John D. Blackwell speaks at the July 1, 1968 ceremony marking the creation of the University of Nebraska at Omaha.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.959]Mr. Spire, Governor Tiemann,
- [00:00:04.230]most distinguished guests, ladies and gentlemen,
- [00:00:07.890]it is indeed an honor to have this opportunity
- [00:00:10.050]to speak on behalf of the faculty and staff
- [00:00:13.010]at this memorable occasion.
- [00:00:15.450]Word is today that officially
- [00:00:17.560]the Municipal University of Omaha
- [00:00:19.410]becomes the University of Nebraska at Omaha.
- [00:00:23.380]And in so becoming, reflects the pattern
- [00:00:26.200]clearly seen in American institutions of higher education.
- [00:00:30.570]Change is the order of the day.
- [00:00:33.950]The Municipal University of Omaha is,
- [00:00:36.410]of course, no stranger to this order.
- [00:00:39.470]And it is to be expected
- [00:00:41.450]that the University of Nebraska at Omaha
- [00:00:44.530]will accept the challenge of offer today
- [00:00:47.420]to work toward an ever-expanding
- [00:00:49.130]and an ever-changing community of scholars.
- [00:00:53.590]It has been my privilege to have witnessed
- [00:00:56.000]some of the preliminary planning,
- [00:00:58.000]which has occurred prior to today.
- [00:01:01.420]And I can say without reservation
- [00:01:04.000]that if the spirit of cooperation,
- [00:01:06.960]the evidence of outstanding leadership,
- [00:01:09.080]which has characterized the initial efforts,
- [00:01:12.300]are continued in the years ahead,
- [00:01:14.910]the University of Nebraska in all its complexities
- [00:01:18.710]will rank among the top in American institutions
- [00:01:21.360]of higher education.
- [00:01:23.820]It is to be expected that this university
- [00:01:27.790]will not ignore an examination of its role
- [00:01:31.010]as a university situated in an urban environment,
- [00:01:35.000]a university in an urban environment
- [00:01:37.020]of sufficient maturity to establish
- [00:01:39.690]meaningful levels of participation by all segments.
- [00:01:44.160]It is to be equally expected that the challenge
- [00:01:47.550]offered today by this joining of institutions,
- [00:01:51.660]so willingly and eagerly accepted by the faculty and staff,
- [00:01:56.600]will result in the best possible educational environment
- [00:02:00.750]ruled by freedom and order,
- [00:02:03.180]where the only power recognized is that of truth.
- [00:02:06.280]Thank you.
Log in to post comments