Merger Ceremony: Governor Norbert Tiemann
July 1, 1968. Governor Norbert Tiemann speaks at ceremony marking the creation of the University of Nebraska at Omaha.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:01.341]Thank you very much, Regent Spire,
- [00:00:03.981]Chancellor Hardin, President Naylor,
- [00:00:07.920]members of the Board of Regents,
- [00:00:09.469]faculty members, staff members, ladies and gentlemen.
- [00:00:13.769]We gather on this very important occasion
- [00:00:16.129]to mark a beginning.
- [00:00:19.171]The beginning of this merger took root many, many months ago
- [00:00:23.840]and through the legislative crucible
- [00:00:26.549]now has come to fruition.
- [00:00:29.651]The merger is solidly based.
- [00:00:32.160]It's based not only on sound people
- [00:00:36.109]but on a sound fiscal system.
- [00:00:38.709]For what is good education and all
- [00:00:41.629]the programs and ideals that we all have
- [00:00:44.720]if first we do not have the fiscal means
- [00:00:47.589]and the capabilities of handling these ideas?
- [00:00:53.021]We enter a great new era of education
- [00:00:55.101]in the state of Nebraska.
- [00:00:57.301]This is the benchmark in the beginning
- [00:01:00.021]of our second century of history in our wonderful state.
- [00:01:04.499]This merger provides for a churning ground
- [00:01:07.549]for the training of men's minds,
- [00:01:10.779]for research, for industrial growth and development,
- [00:01:15.749]and perhaps some day soon will come from this merger
- [00:01:16.582]from this campus, from this university
- [00:01:23.749]the idea that will make for peace in our world.
- [00:01:32.210]Today is the beginning, not only
- [00:01:34.381]of a great university, but of a growth industry
- [00:01:38.149]for the city of Omaha, for the state of Nebraska.
- [00:01:41.869]But more important, here is tangible evidence
- [00:01:46.541]of a spirit of unity that binds our entire state.
- [00:01:51.451]For of what value is a great educational system at any level
- [00:01:56.160]if our state is marked by divisiveness,
- [00:01:59.061]bitterness, community against community?
- [00:02:02.309]This is not true in Nebraska.
- [00:02:04.579]And today, the merger marks the tangible evidence
- [00:02:07.789]of the success of this spirit of unity.
- [00:02:11.840]I challenge you today, ladies and gentlemen
- [00:02:13.880]to join with me and with others in this state
- [00:02:17.349]that this great merger shall stand
- [00:02:20.280]as the beginning of educational
- [00:02:22.011]academic excellence in our state.
- [00:02:24.320]And this great university will not only enrich
- [00:02:26.480]the lives of Nebraskans, but of all Americans
- [00:02:31.162]and of all people in the free world.
- [00:02:33.059]Thank you.
Log in to post comments