Merger Ceremony: Clifford Hardin
July 1, 1968. Clifford Hardin speaks at ceremony marking the creation of the University of Nebraska at Omaha.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:01.120]Thank you President Spire, Governor Tiemann,
- [00:00:05.179]Doctor Greenberg, President Naylor,
- [00:00:08.080]President Bail, members of the university faculties,
- [00:00:13.059]representatives of other institutions of higher education,
- [00:00:16.739]and good friends.
- [00:00:19.669]You know, we've been discussing this merger
- [00:00:22.360]for so long, and so intensively
- [00:00:26.360]there have been so many meetings
- [00:00:29.120]that it hardly seems possible that this day,
- [00:00:31.451]July 1, is finally here.
- [00:00:34.560]And I suspect that some of my colleagues, old and new
- [00:00:39.939]are experiencing some mixed emotions, as am I.
- [00:00:45.080]A soberness that comes from sudden realization
- [00:00:49.459]of greatly enlarged responsibilities
- [00:00:53.499]and the exhilaration that arises from a knowledge
- [00:00:57.200]of the multitude of new opportunities that lie before us.
- [00:01:06.659]Yet, we all look forward with great optimism.
- [00:01:10.971]And especially so when we review
- [00:01:12.659]the activities of these past months.
- [00:01:15.949]As President Naylor has said
- [00:01:18.408]on many occasions and so appropriately,
- [00:01:21.480]the faculties, staff, and students of all the campuses
- [00:01:25.520]have entered into the planning for a merger
- [00:01:27.149]with an enthusiasm, friendliness, and desire
- [00:01:29.639]that is almost unbelievable.
- [00:01:31.948]And certainly this harks well for the future.
- [00:01:39.229]This is a most significant day,
- [00:01:41.160]as has been said many times this morning,
- [00:01:44.888]in the history of the university, this campus and the state.
- [00:01:50.880]Even though it was not a consideration in merger
- [00:01:56.691]it is symbolic that this merger is being effected
- [00:02:00.149]in the hundredth year since the founding
- [00:02:02.640]of the University of Nebraska.
- [00:02:05.339]We will begin our second century
- [00:02:07.451]of service to the state next February
- [00:02:11.909]with a new look, a new enthusiasm, and a new confidence.
- [00:02:18.029]In America we use anniversaries
- [00:02:20.371]and especially events like centennials
- [00:02:23.680]not only as occasions for celebration
- [00:02:25.979]but also as times for re-study,
- [00:02:30.429]reappraisal, and rededication.
- [00:02:36.108]President Spire, President Greenberg, Governor Tiemann,
- [00:02:41.419]speaking if I may for the first time officially
- [00:02:45.331]for the combined administrative officers, faculties,
- [00:02:49.840]staff and students of all our campuses,
- [00:02:53.149]we pledge you that we will reexamine,
- [00:02:55.699]we will reappraise, reorganize, and rededicate ourselves
- [00:03:00.779]to the task of providing the best possible
- [00:03:03.579]learning environment for the young people of this state
- [00:03:07.211]and of utilizing the resources of this great institution
- [00:03:11.859]for the benefit of all our citizens.
Log in to post comments