Merger Ceremony: Randy Owens
July 1, 1968. Randy Owens speaks at ceremony marking the creation of the University of Nebraska at Omaha.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:01.130]Today our 6001 Dodge Street campus resounds
- [00:00:03.960]in no significant change
- [00:00:05.930]but the change seen this morning
- [00:00:07.410]came not through mass sittings
- [00:00:08.800]and administration building takeovers,
- [00:00:10.890]not through card burnings and coercion,
- [00:00:13.180]not through boycotts and demonstrations,
- [00:00:15.320]no, today's transition and tomorrow's progressive future
- [00:00:18.927]was a result of reasonable, rationable, thoughtful thinking.
- [00:00:23.350]The merger of our university
- [00:00:24.910]was not a decision made by one man,
- [00:00:27.010]by one legislative body,
- [00:00:28.680]it was a decision made by the people, for the people.
- [00:00:31.430]It was a democratic decision
- [00:00:33.500]and a significant part in the change occurring today
- [00:00:36.320]was due to student concern and participation
- [00:00:39.350]and rightfully so it should be.
- [00:00:41.540]This is an institution of higher learning.
- [00:00:43.650]This is a classroom for the student.
- [00:00:45.960]Today a triumphant note bells
- [00:00:47.890]from the University of Nebraska at Omaha student's trumpet.
- [00:00:51.350]Today the academic walls
- [00:00:52.850]of this institution are strengthened and lengthened
- [00:00:55.620]by the reverberation of the powerful trumpet's notes.
- [00:00:58.741]Today many young Nebraskans
- [00:01:00.740]may feel the trumpet's strong positive note
- [00:01:02.980]resounding outward from our Omaha campus
- [00:01:05.620]and they may feel assured their own educational futures.
- [00:01:08.783]For this morning let us take pride in our accomplishment
- [00:01:12.670]yet be cognizant of the work in progress
- [00:01:14.880]yet ahead for our institution.
- [00:01:17.051]And those of us who are students gathered here this morning,
- [00:01:20.420]let us continue playing our triumphant note.
- [00:01:22.810]It's really we who are receiving
- [00:01:24.620]the accolades of victory today.
- [00:01:27.040]We have won our future
- [00:01:28.240]and perhaps the future of other Nebraskans.
- [00:01:30.770]Thank you.
Log in to post comments