Nebraska Educational Psychology: Meet Kenji
Meet Kenji Madison a University of Nebraska graduate student in educational psychology studying developmental and learning sciences.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.019](upbeat music)
- [00:00:04.381]I graduated with a undergraduate degree in 99,
- [00:00:07.843]I went straight into the military.
- [00:00:10.483]Stayed in the military about 14 years.
- [00:00:12.417]Decided that I wanted to go back for graduate school.
- [00:00:14.040]My program primarily deals with
- [00:00:16.541]the cognitive, the learning,
- [00:00:18.141]and the developmental aspects of children,
- [00:00:20.077]adolescents and adults.
- [00:00:22.840]You learn how somebody accesses information,
- [00:00:24.680]uses information, and over time,
- [00:00:26.797]develops because of that information.
- [00:00:30.440]I'm actually interested in how children's self-perception
- [00:00:34.440]drives the way that they interact within the
- [00:00:36.760]learning environment.
- [00:00:38.056]So how do they think that their teacher perceives them?
- [00:00:40.120]Does the way that they think the teacher perceives them
- [00:00:42.536]actually lead to how they interact with teachers
- [00:00:45.320]and the way that they actually achieve
- [00:00:47.539]within the learning environment?
- [00:00:49.379]I would love to be in research professorship,
- [00:00:50.556]that's my long term goal.
- [00:00:52.717]My own advisor, she's been wonderful
- [00:00:55.779]through this entire process,
- [00:00:57.333]she keeps me in tune,
- [00:00:58.696]helps me kind of tighten things up a little bit,
- [00:01:00.739]so when I feel like I'm swimming by myself,
- [00:01:02.616]she helps reign me into the broader picture
- [00:01:04.557]of this entire process,
- [00:01:05.859]so it's been good for me.
- [00:01:08.077]Lincoln, Nebraska itself, is just,
- [00:01:09.619]it's a family-friendly place.
- [00:01:12.739]It feels like you belong,
- [00:01:14.362]and that's what's kept me for so long,
- [00:01:15.901]and that's what's actually driven me to keep my family here.
- [00:01:18.840]They feel safe, they feel attached,
- [00:01:20.760]and it's just a warm place to be.
- [00:01:22.781]The program itself is very intensive,
- [00:01:25.917]but I think the rewards are gonna speak for themselves
- [00:01:27.901]at the end.
- [00:01:29.215](upbeat music)
Log in to post comments