What to Eat
Fermented foods provide health benefits. A University of Nebraska researcher explains which types of food you should include in your diet.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.525]Researchers are now documenting the many health
- [00:00:03.025]benefits of the microorganisms in yogurt.
- [00:00:06.067]The bacteria are able to reach our
- [00:00:08.028]gastrointestinal tract and produce end products
- [00:00:10.848]that are healthy for our gut health.
- [00:00:13.905]And sauerkraut is simply fermented cabbage
- [00:00:16.681]and when sauerkraut is fermented
- [00:00:19.224]those bacteria grow as long as the sauerkraut's not
- [00:00:22.114]heat treated like a lot of cans or jars,
- [00:00:25.455]you get the live bacteria.
- [00:00:27.476]Miso is basically a soybean paste,
- [00:00:30.458]loaded with lactic acid bacteria that again
- [00:00:34.344]if you eat it, they reach the gastrointestinal tract
- [00:00:37.427]much the same as the sauerkraut and the yogurt.
- [00:00:40.182]Lot's of interest in miso and other asian fermented foods,
- [00:00:44.591]kimchi is another one,
- [00:00:46.388]this is a European style salami that has not been cooked.
- [00:00:50.886]So there will be live bacteria
- [00:00:53.715]in this dry fermented sausage.
- [00:00:56.042]There's a cup of coffee here.
- [00:00:59.183]One of my favorite fermented foods.
- [00:01:01.046]There will be no live organisms in the roasted coffee.
- [00:01:03.717]That's not to say that the microorganisms haven't made
- [00:01:06.167]that product healthier by virtue of their fermentation.
- [00:01:10.758]So they help extract,
- [00:01:12.028]and another good example of this is wine,
- [00:01:14.244]which also has no live microorganisms,
- [00:01:16.513]but the fermentation enhances the extraction
- [00:01:20.101]of phytochemicals and polyphenolics
- [00:01:23.317]that have anticancer, good for heart,
- [00:01:26.375]they extract those from the raw materials,
- [00:01:28.920]and they end up in the food.
- [00:01:30.833]It's not always so easy to find
- [00:01:34.213]which foods, you have to read the label,
- [00:01:37.344]yogurt's a go-to,
- [00:01:39.167]because yogurt will always have live organisms.
Log in to post comments