Prepare for the Math Placement Exam
Mark Button, dean of the UNL College of Arts and Sciences shares guidelines and tips for success on the math placement exam.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:01.050]The Department of Mathematics and the University
- [00:00:03.310]want you to be successful at Nebraska.
- [00:00:05.790]The Math Placement Exam helps identify
- [00:00:07.750]the right first math course based on your current knowledge
- [00:00:11.170]and academic requirements.
- [00:00:13.070]It is a critical first step towards your success.
- [00:00:16.050]Please take this exam honestly and as directed
- [00:00:19.200]with no help from another person or outside aids.
- [00:00:22.770]if you end up in a course
- [00:00:23.930]that is not a true match to your current abilities,
- [00:00:26.590]you won't be successful,
- [00:00:28.450]and it will ultimately delay your progress
- [00:00:30.390]and waste your time and tuition.
- [00:00:32.540]Your true readiness for any course you take
- [00:00:34.880]will continue to be confirmed through class activities,
- [00:00:37.770]assignments and possibly a course readiness assessment
- [00:00:40.910]early in the semester.
- [00:00:42.440]You may take this exam only three times
- [00:00:44.760]throughout your college career.
- [00:00:46.430]Therefore, I encourage you to take the practice tests
- [00:00:48.840]available online before you take this exam,
- [00:00:51.430]particularly if you are not currently taking a math course.
- [00:00:54.590]On the practice exam site, you will also find information
- [00:00:57.550]about how the Math Placement Exam operates
- [00:00:59.730]and suggestions for materials to review
- [00:01:01.820]outside of the practice exam.
- [00:01:04.140]Before you take the Math Placement Exam
- [00:01:06.040]here are some tips.
- [00:01:07.300]First, have some scratch paper handy.
- [00:01:09.700]And second, you may use a graphing calculator
- [00:01:12.190]if you want to, but you should be fine to take the exam
- [00:01:14.790]without a calculator.
- [00:01:16.670]If you have questions,
- [00:01:17.830]new students can contact New Student Enrollment.
- [00:01:20.730]If you're already enrolled at Nebraska,
- [00:01:22.600]you most likely have been given instructions
- [00:01:24.360]on how to proceed.
- [00:01:25.570]If necessary, contact the Department of Mathematics
- [00:01:27.970]with questions.
- [00:01:29.120]Good luck and welcome to Nebraska.
- [00:01:30.858](upbeat music)
Log in to post comments