RFI Faculty Fellow | Kyle Ryan
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.251]My name is Kyle Ryan, I'm a professor
- [00:00:02.325]of Kinesiology at Peru State College.
- [00:00:04.184]I'm passionate about rural because, truly,
- [00:00:06.380]rural is about all I've ever known.
- [00:00:08.864]I've had the fortune of living
- [00:00:10.411]in a few urban, metropolitan areas,
- [00:00:12.578]but I was raised rural, most of the work I've done is
- [00:00:15.171]in rural, whether it's public health,
- [00:00:16.821]or whether it's in academia.
- [00:00:18.484]The idea of impact with rural,
- [00:00:21.435]I believe in what are called the NSSE High Impact Practices,
- [00:00:24.815]so I can take my students, I can engage them
- [00:00:27.308]in active research like I would
- [00:00:28.609]with a graduate student, except they're undergraduate,
- [00:00:31.005]so we put them in the community,
- [00:00:32.365]my specialty is actually obesity intervention
- [00:00:34.686]and prevention with pediatric groups,
- [00:00:36.776]so, the students are able to go in,
- [00:00:38.247]provide after school planning with these kids
- [00:00:40.345]and try to offset the pediatric obesity
- [00:00:42.555]epidemic in that manner.
- [00:00:44.197]The importance of RFI to the university,
- [00:00:47.028]it's, I don't think it's any secret that,
- [00:00:50.228]as rural America goes, the rest of America
- [00:00:53.370]follows down that path.
- [00:00:55.128]People have a tendency to overlook
- [00:00:56.677]what happens in rural America.
- [00:00:58.105]When we look at where the food production takes place,
- [00:01:00.526]when we look at where largely, the students
- [00:01:03.391]that come to urban areas, they're coming from a rural area,
- [00:01:06.333]so, making sure that we maintain those inroads
- [00:01:09.816]and we take care of those rural America,
- [00:01:11.802]is really going to pay off in the long run.
- [00:01:13.619]Every time I interact with them,
- [00:01:15.495]I come away feeling more energized
- [00:01:17.262]and feeling more positive about
- [00:01:18.833]what's happening in the rural environment.
- [00:01:20.986]So, being named a Rural Futures Fellow,
- [00:01:24.870]it's truly an honor, and the opportunity
- [00:01:28.648]to work with them on a continuing basis,
- [00:01:30.713]again, is more than I could ask for.
Log in to post comments