RFI Community Innovation Fellow | Milan Wall
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.498]Hi, I'm Milan Wall.
- [00:00:01.720]I'm Co-Director of the Heartland Center
- [00:00:04.233]for Leadership Development.
- [00:00:06.104]Well in a lot of ways, I think rural
- [00:00:07.581]is the lifeblood of America.
- [00:00:09.898]Many of our values come from people in places
- [00:00:13.402]in rural America, and from an economic point of view,
- [00:00:16.843]because so much of our country depends on upon food
- [00:00:22.951]and food products that are grown in rural America,
- [00:00:26.364]it makes sense to me to try to help make sure
- [00:00:30.045]that rural places remain vital.
- [00:00:33.544]We discovered 20 characteristics
- [00:00:36.563]that are found commonly in thriving small towns.
- [00:00:41.384]We call those 20 clues to rural community's survival,
- [00:00:45.144]and you find those not only across the United States
- [00:00:49.347]and in Canada, but throughout the world.
- [00:00:53.027]The Rural Future's Institute is the only serious effort
- [00:00:59.283]that I know about in a land grant university
- [00:01:02.083]in the United States that focuses keen attention
- [00:01:06.611]on how to make sure rural places thrive,
- [00:01:10.381]how to bring the resources of this state university
- [00:01:14.858]to that challenge,
- [00:01:16.824]how to partner with rural people and rural leaders
- [00:01:21.518]to make sure that they're going to be there
- [00:01:24.104]for a long time, providing the key level of service
- [00:01:28.163]we need to sustain rural vitalities,
- [00:01:31.562]so I'm really pleased to be among the first class
- [00:01:35.264]of the fellows of the Rural Futures Institute,
- [00:01:38.717]and I hope I can continue to contribute
- [00:01:41.320]to their overall vision, mission, and goals
- [00:01:44.840]for the state of Nebraska.
Log in to post comments