RFI Faculty Fellow | Jim Cavaye
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.195]I'm Jim Cavaye and I lead a program
- [00:00:01.987]of research and practice in Regional Community Development
- [00:00:05.997]at the University of Southern Queensland
- [00:00:07.597]in Eastern Australia.
- [00:00:09.304]I'm passionate about working with rural communities
- [00:00:10.936]because they're so important.
- [00:00:12.451]They are regional nations and the strength
- [00:00:14.797]of our whole country is really based around
- [00:00:17.624]the vitality of our rural communities.
- [00:00:19.437]And economically, socially, culturally,
- [00:00:21.432]they're critically important.
- [00:00:22.787]My work is around working with community people
- [00:00:25.880]so a lot of it is about understanding
- [00:00:28.792]what they would want to have for their communities
- [00:00:30.851]and trying to help them to make progress
- [00:00:33.069]on what they would want them to see
- [00:00:34.680]and how they would see improvement occur.
- [00:00:36.723]People across the country are trying to
- [00:00:39.325]make progress in their situation with their community.
- [00:00:42.675]They're trying to make their community more vibrant,
- [00:00:44.557]more functional, more organized, and a better place to live.
- [00:00:47.800]But community members can't do that just on their own,
- [00:00:50.435]it's so important for them to have access
- [00:00:53.293]to allies who can help them to do that.
- [00:00:55.256]And that's where RFI comes in.
- [00:00:57.059]And RFI plays that critical role in being
- [00:01:00.099]a mechanism that brings people together
- [00:01:02.499]that can learn from each other and they can
- [00:01:04.792]also gain access to people who've got experience
- [00:01:07.384]from across the nation.
- [00:01:09.123]Well an RFI fellow is important to me
- [00:01:11.917]because as you can probably tell from the accent
- [00:01:14.637]I bring a sort of international accent to RFI,
- [00:01:17.923]and while its focus may be on Nebraska,
- [00:01:21.016]its issues, the issues that it deal with
- [00:01:24.131]are internationally significant.
- [00:01:25.859]Well a critically important that RFI does
- [00:01:27.896]is it brings people together.
- [00:01:30.029]That's so important for us to help to understand
- [00:01:33.048]rural development issues and to help
- [00:01:35.320]people make progress on them.
- [00:01:37.475]And the other final thing I guess is that
- [00:01:41.912]it's able to focus, RFI is able to focus,
- [00:01:43.939]a range of expertise with community people
- [00:01:47.267]to address issues that are tailor made for them.
Log in to post comments