RFI Faculty Fellow | Brad Lubben
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.229]Hi, I'm Dr. Brad Lubben, I'm an Extension
- [00:00:02.461]Policy Specialist at the University of Nebraska,
- [00:00:04.853]in the Department of Agricultural Economics.
- [00:00:07.203]That means I focus on ag in public policy issues,
- [00:00:10.700]with a broad mix of research and teaching
- [00:00:13.333]and extension responsibilities.
- [00:00:15.192]Becoming an RFI fellow to me means
- [00:00:17.253]there's a great opportunity ahead.
- [00:00:19.312]Well, it's interesting to focus on rural
- [00:00:21.312]and to acknowledge the importance
- [00:00:23.740]and the significance of rural places.
- [00:00:25.701]But defining rural is also a little complex,
- [00:00:28.053]it's agriculture, but it's also industry,
- [00:00:31.092]it's natural resources, it's all kinds of things.
- [00:00:35.059]There's a reason to want to understand more about it,
- [00:00:37.472]and that's something that RFI can do.
- [00:00:39.443]You know, RFI has brought attention
- [00:00:41.581]to the issue of rural places, and rural development
- [00:00:44.412]is not a simple check box, not every rural place is alike,
- [00:00:48.739]but an institution like RFI helps us better
- [00:00:51.092]understand those rural places and the opportunities we have.
- [00:00:55.001]When you think of the research we've done,
- [00:00:56.352]particularly in the rural poll,
- [00:00:57.723]which is going on 15 plus years of research in rural places,
- [00:01:02.323]we have have a better sense of what rural communities think,
- [00:01:05.181]we can track how they've moved over time,
- [00:01:07.621]in terms of opinions and in terms
- [00:01:09.449]of satisfaction and vision, but we've identified
- [00:01:13.101]some issues, and that's helped enlighten the public debate.
- [00:01:17.381]The work that's done at RFI and the other work
- [00:01:19.971]that's done on rural places and rural issues
- [00:01:24.131]is clearly relevant in the public sphere today.
Log in to post comments