Nebraska Anthropology: Meet Margaret
Meet Margaret, an anthropology graduate student at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.067](upbeat music)
- [00:00:02.899]And you would link to it,
- [00:00:04.411]and you can look at the images
- [00:00:06.125]of all the different artifacts.
- [00:00:08.135]So basically this is a web application
- [00:00:10.459]that's optimized for mobile viewing.
- [00:00:13.044]I did it for the National Park Service.
- [00:00:14.606]I was really fortunate enough to get an internship.
- [00:00:17.570]My research is mostly based in Ohio,
- [00:00:20.132]particularly the Ohio Hopewell culture.
- [00:00:22.263]It was excavated in the late 1800s.
- [00:00:24.736]And so I'm working with the field museum
- [00:00:26.868]to bring together a lot of the data that was collected,
- [00:00:29.792]a lot of artifacts, and put it back into the site,
- [00:00:32.491]and understand how people excavated,
- [00:00:35.158]and then drive new interpretations.
- [00:00:37.914]I chose Nebraska particularly for digital
- [00:00:39.960]culture heritage applications.
- [00:00:42.313]I've been able to learn a lot of tools like
- [00:00:44.163]photogrammetry, creating 3-D visual models.
- [00:00:47.123]Once it was in the GIS and you bring it into Sketchup...
- [00:00:49.983]My anthropology degree, I think will take me
- [00:00:52.559]either into the public sector.
- [00:00:54.248]A lot of working with museums,
- [00:00:55.472]developing cultural heritage applications.
- [00:00:57.856]Also working for the National Park Service.
- [00:00:59.870](laughs) OK.
- [00:01:00.943]And I think it's a very collaborative atmosphere.
- [00:01:02.858]I mean, I work a lot with professors,
- [00:01:05.866]I have several kind of advisors.
- [00:01:08.433]The departments supports my goals by providing
- [00:01:11.347]feedback, by offering me opportunities
- [00:01:13.555]as a graduate teaching assistant,
- [00:01:15.455]and also providing a community of other students
- [00:01:19.438]who are kind of living the same life as you.
Log in to post comments