College of Business: Accounting
Learn more about the opportunities in Accounting at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln's College of Business.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.231](pulsating instrumental music)
- [00:00:02.960]Accounting is boring, right?
- [00:00:04.880]You're stuck in a cubicle crunching numbers.
- [00:00:07.480]You know, snoozeville.
- [00:00:12.160]At the University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Business,
- [00:00:15.050]you'll discover accounting is creative,
- [00:00:17.260]exciting, social, diverse, rewarding,
- [00:00:19.861]and it all adds up to a great career.
- [00:00:25.350]Billionaire Warren Buffett says that accounting
- [00:00:27.700]is the language of business.
- [00:00:29.070]Accounting is a very tough analytical major.
- [00:00:31.650]It's a lot of hard work,
- [00:00:32.890]but I promise you it's gonna land you a great job.
- [00:00:34.970]I'm Sue Wilkinson, Executive Vice President
- [00:00:37.220]and Chief Financial Officer at Ameritas.
- [00:00:39.640]So accounting is more than debits and credits.
- [00:00:41.750]We're always looking at what are the numbers telling us?
- [00:00:43.930]How do we analyze them?
- [00:00:45.100]How can we use them to help the business grow?
- [00:00:47.530]I like to work with people,
- [00:00:49.330]so accounting is a natural fit.
- [00:00:51.330]I also like to work with numbers,
- [00:00:53.560]and so doing both people and numbers is something
- [00:00:56.140]that I'm really interested in.
- [00:00:57.630]It's constantly working with people, working with teams,
- [00:01:00.700]solving problems for clients day to day.
- [00:01:03.610]As an accounting major,
- [00:01:04.443]you can use it in a private company,
- [00:01:06.620]at a CPA firm, or a government agency.
- [00:01:09.020]Really, anywhere that you can handle finances.
- [00:01:11.630]Accounting is a challenging major.
- [00:01:14.270]We make the students work really hard to earn their degree,
- [00:01:18.090]but when they graduate, they are going to be the best
- [00:01:21.500]candidates for any job that they want.
- [00:01:24.110]I found a six-month internship with KPMG
- [00:01:26.440]and I just accepted an offer to go full-time.
- [00:01:29.320]Oh, you'll be a great accounting major
- [00:01:30.490]if you like numbers, you like working with people,
- [00:01:32.900]and you're an effective communicator.
- [00:01:34.350]There will always be jobs for accounting graduates.
- [00:01:37.050]By the time students are juniors in accounting,
- [00:01:40.500]they already have a job.
- [00:01:42.140]So when you graduate, for the most part,
- [00:01:44.650]you're already going to be going out the door
- [00:01:46.930]knowing which company you're going to go work for.
- [00:01:50.040]So think outside the cubicle.
- [00:01:51.980]Check out the accounting program
- [00:01:53.760]at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Business.
Log in to post comments