CoJMC Journalism promo - Chris - full
CoJMC Journalism promo: Chris - full, with audio
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.248](upbeat instrumental music)
- [00:00:01.952]I'm Chris.
- [00:00:02.785]I'm from Cincinnati, Ohio and I'm a journalism major
- [00:00:04.653]at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- [00:00:06.938]Stories are everything to a journalist,
- [00:00:08.896]I mean if you can tell a good story
- [00:00:10.557]you can change how 100 or 1,000 or even more people
- [00:00:13.504]think about one issue or topic.
- [00:00:16.122]The thing about journalism
- [00:00:16.955]is that it's very, very diverse now.
- [00:00:18.898]There's lots of different channels that people go into.
- [00:00:23.625]At other universities it was more wait your turn,
- [00:00:26.806]sort of thing.
- [00:00:27.730]But at UNL it's a really kind of,
- [00:00:29.296]if you have the skills now then why wait around.
- [00:00:31.843]They want you to be applying and looking at internships
- [00:00:34.602]from day one,
- [00:00:35.534]so as soon as I got in the door they were kind of like,
- [00:00:37.467]showing me different internship opportunities,
- [00:00:39.684]and being like you should talk to this person,
- [00:00:41.140]you should look at this.
- [00:00:43.453]Because they all understand that,
- [00:00:44.286]doesn't just cut it to have a degree anymore,
- [00:00:46.633]you really need to have some real world experience.
- [00:00:50.523]Daily Nebraskan is a student newspaper at UNL.
- [00:00:52.413]It's all student-run, all student-organized,
- [00:00:55.390]budgets and meetings.
- [00:00:56.670]They just do some real, hard-hitting journalism
- [00:00:59.720]that you might not get at bigger papers
- [00:01:01.648]because they're really in touch with the whole campus pulse.
- [00:01:05.212]Learning how to be able to market yourself
- [00:01:06.854]is so important these days
- [00:01:08.369]because there's just so many different things you can do
- [00:01:10.351]to tell a story.
- [00:01:11.931]That's really what the university offers you,
- [00:01:13.592]it offers you pretty much a platform where you can say
- [00:01:15.572]this is what I want to do,
- [00:01:17.013]and this is how I'm going to do it.
- [00:01:19.369]Show me all these new tools that are available
- [00:01:21.771]and at the end of the day that's kind of
- [00:01:23.258]what's going to get you the job,
- [00:01:24.445]is being able to show you can do something new
- [00:01:26.382]and different and better than anyone else.
Log in to post comments