Enviropig Breeding Summary
A summary of the third step of the Enviropig genetic engineering story
For more information visit the Enviropig website: https://ge.unl.edu/enviropig/
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:09.291]Enviropig learners,
- [00:00:10.499]we have just completed learning about step three,
- [00:00:14.794]the breeding process in creating
- [00:00:16.954]transgenic pigs
- [00:00:19.020]and so again,
- [00:00:19.856]let's summarize where our learning is at.
- [00:00:22.178]We learned that in step one,
- [00:00:24.477]we're working with transgenes at the DNA level.
- [00:00:26.845]Step two we're working with pigs at the cell level,
- [00:00:30.955]but then if we're successful in step three,
- [00:00:33.950]we can implant these potentially transgenic embryos
- [00:00:38.222]into surrogate mothers
- [00:00:40.544]and when they give birth,
- [00:00:41.984]some of their offspring could contain
- [00:00:44.608]this transgene in every one of their cells.
- [00:00:47.533]And so at this point,
- [00:00:48.926]the breeders can follow normal predictable
- [00:00:53.315]genetics principles in order to
- [00:00:55.660]strategically breed new families of enviropigs
- [00:01:02.091]that could be healthy pigs for the future.
- [00:01:08.152]Takes a lot of care and time
- [00:01:10.729]in order to breed from small families
- [00:01:13.515]and large families
- [00:01:14.723]and avoid inbreeding along the way,
- [00:01:17.091]but when the breeders do their work,
- [00:01:19.390]they can move the progress along
- [00:01:21.920]towards creating this new breed of pigs.
- [00:01:25.009]So let's follow the journey of our gene.
- [00:01:27.957]Again, they originated in our mouse
- [00:01:30.465]in our bacteria
- [00:01:31.951]or combine with the gene design steps
- [00:01:35.713]in test tubes.
- [00:01:37.477]That transgene was implanted
- [00:01:39.753]into the nucleus of pig embryonic cells
- [00:01:44.025]and then if you're fortunate,
- [00:01:45.674]you've got that one cell developing
- [00:01:49.017]into an entire pig
- [00:01:50.433]so this transgene can be found and detected
- [00:01:53.638]in some of the offspring
- [00:01:56.215]and those offspring with the transgene
- [00:01:59.233]can be selected
- [00:02:00.673]and the inheritance of that transgene
- [00:02:02.577]can be followed
- [00:02:03.738]through the breeding process
- [00:02:05.386]and we're moving along
- [00:02:07.174]to the final stages
- [00:02:08.428]of the genetic engineering process.
Log in to post comments