Enviropig Transformation Summary
A summary of the second step in the Enviropig genetic engineering story
For more information visit the Enviropig website: https://ge.unl.edu/enviropig/
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:09.339]Enviropig learners,
- [00:00:10.697]we have just completed step two,
- [00:00:13.518]learning about the transformation process
- [00:00:16.253]in creating a transgenic pig.
- [00:00:18.231]So let's summarize where we're at
- [00:00:20.179]in leaning about the journey of the genes.
- [00:00:22.628]So we learned that in the transgene design step,
- [00:00:26.761]the genetic engineer is working with DNA molecules
- [00:00:30.302]in test tubes in order to intentionally design
- [00:00:34.585]the transgene that they want to have
- [00:00:37.058]in every cell of their transgenic pig.
- [00:00:39.577]And then we learned that in step two,
- [00:00:41.388]genetic engineers, like Brett White,
- [00:00:43.605]work with the pig at the single cell level,
- [00:00:48.040]work with these embryonic cells,
- [00:00:50.664]that are fertilized eggs or zygotes,
- [00:00:53.183]and carefully introduce that transgene
- [00:00:56.480]into the nucleus of these cells.
- [00:00:58.779]And then once these cells are early stage embryos
- [00:01:03.140]and can be implanted carefully into a surrogate mother,
- [00:01:07.129]the potential is there to create a transgenic pig.
- [00:01:10.426]That's what we'll learn about next.
- [00:01:12.388]So the journey of the gene started with
- [00:01:15.546]the organisms that originally had the gene,
- [00:01:18.831]the coding region and the promoter
- [00:01:20.968]from the bacteria in the mouse
- [00:01:22.650]were combined in the transgene design
- [00:01:25.344]and then it was this designed transgene
- [00:01:27.991]that was carefully introduced into these
- [00:01:30.651]pig embryonic cells in step two,
- [00:01:34.540]and we're hoping for success in creating
- [00:01:37.337]tranform cells and eventually transgenic pigs.
- [00:01:41.385]That's what we'll learn about next.
Log in to post comments