CB3: Anne Schutte
Anne Schutte is an associate professor of psychology. She works in the Center for Brain, Biology and Behavior (CB3) at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. http://cb3.unl.edu/
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.000](light bell music)
- [00:00:02.293]Okay, I'm going to bury the toy again.
- [00:00:05.218]Watch me bury it.
- [00:00:07.285]In my lab we study spacial memory
- [00:00:09.584]and attention and executive function.
- [00:00:13.961]Oh there it is. You're so close.
- [00:00:17.694]Our goal is to learn how these processes work
- [00:00:22.514]in the brain,
- [00:00:23.791]how they are related to each other.
- [00:00:25.475]Go, go, go.
- [00:00:27.054]Within my lab space
- [00:00:29.143]and we have the sand box.
- [00:00:30.444]We have a large touch screen.
- [00:00:31.418]We also have a couple of computers
- [00:00:32.708]that we use for some computerized tasks.
- [00:00:34.821]I also have used the EEG equipment
- [00:00:38.118]to look at how being in different environments
- [00:00:42.982]influences children's attention and memory.
- [00:00:47.351]We've looked at how the outdoors and nature influences it.
- [00:00:51.786]There's some evidence that perhaps
- [00:00:53.121]being out in nature improves attention,
- [00:00:56.186]in particular, as well as memory.
- [00:00:58.485]The space and the equipment that we have access to
- [00:01:02.258]is amazing and allows us to do
- [00:01:07.914]a level of research that we couldn't do before
- [00:01:10.411]because we just didn't have the equipment for it.
- [00:01:12.989]It allows, especially people with specialized equipment,
- [00:01:15.624]or even just people who are very interdisciplinary
- [00:01:18.989]to really collaborate and work together.
- [00:01:22.416]All right, point on the sand where you think the toy is.
- [00:01:25.226]The more we can understand the
- [00:01:27.385]basic processes underlying memory and attention,
- [00:01:31.657]the better we'll be able to develop interventions
- [00:01:35.454]for children and adults, who perhaps have deficits.
- [00:01:39.819](light bell music)
Log in to post comments