Jazmin Castillo, Fisheries and Wildlife Undergraduate Major
Jazmin reflects upon the major she chose, her favorite classes, and why she chose the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and the School of Natural Resources
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.399]Hi, my name is Jazmin Castillo.
- [00:00:02.775]I'm a Fisheries and Wildlife major,
- [00:00:04.930]and I am from South Sioux City, Nebraska.
- [00:00:08.120]The best thing about being part of the school
- [00:00:10.252]of Natural Resources is
- [00:00:12.285]the fact that the faculty is so easy to talk to,
- [00:00:14.701]and they're not just a faculty member,
- [00:00:17.586]they're also, like, a peer and a mentor.
- [00:00:21.082]And so they go, like, the extra mile than
- [00:00:23.418]the usual professors do.
- [00:00:24.719]So it's nice to have that.
- [00:00:26.506]The reason I chose my major was because
- [00:00:28.903]I initially wanted to be a veternarian student
- [00:00:31.179]for wildlife since I've always loved animals.
- [00:00:33.779]And then the summer after my freshman year,
- [00:00:36.421]I studied abroad in Botswana,
- [00:00:38.472]which completely changed my perspective
- [00:00:40.260]on conservation research and sparked my interest
- [00:00:44.142]in research and pursuing that as my career.
- [00:00:47.554]The class that has been most beneficial for me
- [00:00:49.952]has been ecology.
- [00:00:51.496]Just because I think Leon did a really good job
- [00:00:53.792]in making students think outside the box,
- [00:00:56.657]and giving us real-world problems,
- [00:01:00.131]and how to assess those problems and think
- [00:01:03.564]outside of the box rather than just memorizing
- [00:01:05.982]and regurgitating information.
- [00:01:09.318]My favorite hands-on experience would have to be
- [00:01:11.163]the summer after my freshman year
- [00:01:12.728]when I studied abroad in Botswana.
- [00:01:15.409]I got to live in the bush,
- [00:01:18.152]and see the African perspective of conservation
- [00:01:20.956]and the different ...
- [00:01:22.174]The summer after my sophomore year,
- [00:01:24.207]I returned to Botswana and conducted
- [00:01:27.680]my own research project on spotted hyenas
- [00:01:31.337]and determining the distribution and abundance
- [00:01:34.100]in the northern Tuli game reserve.
- [00:01:36.011]Career, I'd like to do, I'm currently debating
- [00:01:38.835]on either becoming a professor and building
- [00:01:41.984]that international connection with students,
- [00:01:44.483]or being like a wildlife researcher abroad,
- [00:01:48.120]which I could basically do both.
- [00:01:49.583]But debating on if I want to do both or just one.
- [00:01:53.504]But for sure, working abroad.
Log in to post comments