Lachel Bradley-Williams, Fisheries and Wildlife Undergraduate Major
Lachel shares why she chose her major, what classes she likes and why she came to UNL
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.354]Hi, my name's Lachel Bradley-Williams.
- [00:00:02.327]I'm from Lincoln, Nebraska.
- [00:00:04.162]I am working on a bachelor's degree
- [00:00:07.459]in Fisheries and Wildlife
- [00:00:08.817]and I'm minoring in Animal Science.
- [00:00:12.262]I chose my major because I really
- [00:00:14.919]have an appreciation for the natural world
- [00:00:16.735]and its inhabitants,
- [00:00:18.126]so with this degree I'll be working with both.
- [00:00:22.095]I'm interested in pursuing a career
- [00:00:24.375]in animal rehabilitation and/or conservation
- [00:00:28.345]and so that leaves a lot of room
- [00:00:29.948]for either working in zoos or with the Game and Parks,
- [00:00:33.059]nature centers, or even humane societies.
- [00:00:36.229]Some of my favorite hands-on experiences
- [00:00:37.889]happened in the introductory course
- [00:00:40.222]of School of Natural Resources
- [00:00:41.589]and in Environmental Education course.
- [00:00:44.567]We went on zoo tours, and fish shocking,
- [00:00:47.757]and even toured Ruth Staples' laboratory
- [00:00:50.637]and so there's a lot of interesting things in all of those.
- [00:00:53.823]It was really fun.
- [00:00:55.762]There's a lot of clubs to get involved in at UNL.
- [00:00:58.866]One that I have frequented is the SEECA club,
- [00:01:02.943]Students for the Education of Exotic
- [00:01:04.685]and Companion Animals.
- [00:01:06.217]I attended all last year and I'm secretary of the club now,
- [00:01:08.956]which is really enjoyable.
- [00:01:10.432]We bring speakers in to educate us about
- [00:01:13.299]their journey into their career.
- [00:01:15.134]How they got there, what they do for a job,
- [00:01:17.398]and how to get involved in volunteer opportunities.
- [00:01:21.126]My favorite thing about being a student
- [00:01:22.610]in the School of Natural Resources
- [00:01:24.236]is that I get a real sense of community
- [00:01:26.448]from the other students and from the instructors.
- [00:01:29.077]We all have an interest in the same thing,
- [00:01:31.109]but you can branch off into very individual sections
- [00:01:35.010]and still be a part of it.
Log in to post comments