College of Architecture Master Student
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.430]What I love about architecture is how I can be creative
- [00:00:03.730]with it.
- [00:00:04.790]And I love the problem solving aspect of it.
- [00:00:07.870]My name is Phuong Nguyen, I'm from Vietnam
- [00:00:10.450]and I'm currently my second year of my three year
- [00:00:12.850]master program.
- [00:00:13.870]I had my undergrad in interior design and then switched
- [00:00:16.870]back to architecture for my graduate study.
- [00:00:19.970]Learning about how interior design really influence
- [00:00:22.950]the way people think, they way they behave,
- [00:00:25.710]I was intrigued about how about how architecture could do
- [00:00:28.730]the same thing.
- [00:00:29.730]So how lighting affects us, how the color of a room could
- [00:00:34.170]really lighten people's mood.
- [00:00:36.130]All of that matters.
- [00:00:38.170]The more and more I get to study about it,
- [00:00:41.550]the more I like it, I love it.
- [00:00:43.970]Having my undergrad in interior design was really a strong
- [00:00:48.490]foundation for me to keep going on to the masters
- [00:00:51.770]of architecture.
- [00:00:53.170]Because, I think a strong design is approached by
- [00:00:57.750]designing from the inside out.
- [00:00:59.490]So how all the programs correlate with each other
- [00:01:02.950]really influence the way that the building behaves
- [00:01:06.130]and how it would look for the exterior.
- [00:01:09.130]Studying here gave me a lot of knowledge
- [00:01:12.690]as well as opportunity.
- [00:01:15.030]Being an international student I really had some
- [00:01:17.930]difficulties, especially about the language barrier.
- [00:01:22.050]So I was pretty shy and timid at the beginning,
- [00:01:26.110]but then, the professors here are really supportive
- [00:01:30.850]and encouraging.
- [00:01:32.750]They're not just instructors, but they also went
- [00:01:37.350]beyond their role to help students, to encourage them
- [00:01:42.350]and give them direction on where to go,
- [00:01:46.390]how to create your own opportunity.
- [00:01:50.570]Since there is many good architecture firms here in
- [00:01:53.290]Nebraska, and UNL has good connections with those firms,
- [00:01:58.790]I've very pleased about how the College of Architecture
- [00:02:03.710]help us to make good connections with the firms
- [00:02:07.530]and how to establish our future career.
- [00:02:10.750]I'm glad I came here, I made a lot of new friends.
- [00:02:13.350]I actually spend time here even more than I spend
- [00:02:17.130]time at home.
- [00:02:18.590]I get to know a lot of great people,
- [00:02:21.090]get to make a lot of good friends.
- [00:02:23.450]It feels welcoming here, it feels like home.
- [00:02:26.150]Everyone is really friend and everyone is willing to help.
- [00:02:30.310]I would definitely recommend UNL,
- [00:02:32.730]the College of Architecture, because here connection
- [00:02:36.430]means opportunity and success.
- [00:02:40.030](upbeat music)
Log in to post comments