CEHS Featured Student - Scott
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:01.086]My name is Scott and I'm a Ph.D. student in educational psychology.
- [00:00:04.660]My biggest hobby is playing ultimate frisbee.
- [00:00:06.576]We call it "flatball," actually.
- [00:00:08.311]I'm really competitive, so my wife refuses to really do any competitive things with me.
- [00:00:16.976]Aside from classes, the ed psych students actually like to go out and have fun.
- [00:00:22.687]Every month or so we'll do a thing called "Booze, News and Reviews".
- [00:00:26.382]We'll just go to a local bar and have a few drinks.
- [00:00:29.617]My wife and I like to go to Yia Yia's Pizza because she's vegan and that's one of the places in town that
- [00:00:33.384]has a really good selection for people who are vegan.
- [00:00:36.836]One of the reasons why I'm in educational psychology is I'm interested in helping adolescents.
- [00:00:42.278]When I'm the experimenter, I'm in the room playing the games with them. That's one of the most enjoyable parts of
- [00:00:47.011]working in the lab specifically because how unique and funny their responses can be.
- [00:00:52.591]They're two-and-a-half-year-olds and it varies by kid, but each one is different, quirky and really fun to work with
- [00:01:00.046]... for the most part. [laughter]
- [00:01:05.255]Right now I'm volunteering in an after-school program where I'm teaching kids ultimate frisbee.
- [00:01:09.762]Ultimate frisbee is a sport that's governed by spirit of the game. In that sense,
- [00:01:13.364]it's a good sport for kids to help develop their social skills.
- [00:01:18.064]In the sport, you have to work out your differences with the other people on the field.
- [00:01:22.198]While I'm teaching these kids ultimate frisbee, in my eyes, I'm also teaching them how to interact with their peers
- [00:01:27.805]and how to develop better peer relations.
- [00:01:30.256]My experience so far here has been fantastic. The courses and the content are excellent.
- [00:01:35.119]The faculty are great. They're always interested in helping students. You'll never find any closed doors here.
Log in to post comments