CEHS Featured Student - Olga
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:03.989]My name is Olga and I am originally from Congo, but I've been in the US for nine years.
- [00:00:10.340]I am studying elementary and special education at UNL.
- [00:00:14.390]I've been through so much in life. I did not really have a childhood when I was growing up and
- [00:00:20.264]being with special needs makes me want to, like, be a part of their lives and
- [00:00:24.630]I just want to be able to interact with kids and just let loose and, you know, enjoy the life of a child.
- [00:00:31.296]Professors for College of Human Sciences just -- they are great.
- [00:00:35.163]Like, they love what they do and they're willing to help you. They have time you can go see them in the office
- [00:00:41.493]and get that one-on-one interaction with them. They know what you want in life and they're willing to give you that.
- [00:00:48.694]It is super easy to make friends at UNL.
- [00:00:51.585]Coming from Africa, like despite that I didn't know English, people were still willing to, like, talk to me
- [00:00:57.257]even if I was hard to understand. They were just, like, patient with me and very friendly, welcoming.
- [00:01:03.464]I'm like, "This is not real, is it?" Like, yeah.
- [00:01:07.654]At Sunday school, we have our own special needs class.
- [00:01:11.484]At first, when I was helping with Sunday school, I was like, "I don't think I can handle it because it's like a lot of work."
- [00:01:19.011]But, like, now I don't see the special needs. I just see them being kids and just having fun and now
- [00:01:25.825]I'm like, "This is what I want to do." I called my mom and was like, "Hey I think I found what I want to do in life forever."
- [00:01:32.270]These kids are not able to walk, but they still smile, and then that just gives you something to be thankful about.
- [00:01:37.872]Look at me. I can walk, I can talk and I still have the front of my face. They think I'm teaching them something,
- [00:01:44.148]but, like, they actually have changed my life around and I'm able to, like, smile today.
- [00:01:50.312]Just looking at them just made me realize that even if I've been through so much, I can be thankful of what I have right now.
Log in to post comments