CEHS Featured Student - Emily
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:01.110]I'm Emily from Ralston, Nebraska and I'm studying textiles, merchandising and fashion design communications.
- [00:00:07.191]I used to be really shy and then once I came to college, definitely became more outgoing.
- [00:00:13.749]A lot of what I learn in my textiles classes I'm able to apply at my Blush internship.
- [00:00:19.522]Having that knowledge of design helps me plan it out in my head and have it all be proportionate,
- [00:00:24.975]but also having that knowledge of business helps me pick dresses that I know customers are going to see in the window
- [00:00:30.415]and want to try on and potentially fall in love with.
- [00:00:33.967]Coming to college, I started as a biology pre-med student. Right when I changed my major, one of the textiles
- [00:00:41.067]department's staff remembered me by name from the time that I had been in there talking to my professor.
- [00:00:46.152]Having it be that intimate and really getting to know your professors is really nice.
- [00:00:50.564]I was able to do social media for the Student Runway Show. They had two alumni judges.
- [00:00:56.729]Amanda Valentine was on Project Runway and Jillian Houseman.
- [00:01:00.941]I was able to meet them in person and that was a very eye-opening experience because I think
- [00:01:05.957]it was the first time that I actually saw someone in the flesh of an example of like,
- [00:01:09.978]"This is a product of the textiles department."
- [00:01:12.174]I mean it really clicked, like, not only do I love what I'm doing, but here is the place to be doing it.
- [00:01:18.747]Everything that I've accomplished and all the goals that I've set and achieved I've been able to achieve
- [00:01:23.657]because of the foundation that the university has laid out for me.
- [00:01:26.737]The opportunities that I've gotten with Scarlet Guard, the internship that I got was through the textiles department.
- [00:01:32.105]My job at Forever 21 was because of my major and so regardless of where I end up, regardless of what my
- [00:01:38.301]job is or what city it's in, I will have gotten there because of the university.
Log in to post comments