Julia Torquati Faculty Profile - Child, Youth and Family Studies
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:09.370][Narrator]: Being outside isn't just
- [00:00:11.941]child's play. Nature-based education helps
- [00:00:15.042]kids learn in a variety of ways.
- [00:00:17.902]Julia Torquati studies the impact of programs
- [00:00:21.282]that move kids outdoors.
- [00:00:23.682][Dr. Torquati]: Spending time outdoors
- [00:00:25.142]might be one of the processes by which
- [00:00:27.122]children can reset physiologically,
- [00:00:30.082]emotionally, socially so that they can
- [00:00:32.262]manage themselves better in the classroom,
- [00:00:34.982]but then also help to develop those skills
- [00:00:37.302]to be able to manage better throughout life.
- [00:00:39.262][Narrator]: Dr. Torquati also studies
- [00:00:41.722]effective methods for teachers.
- [00:00:43.822][Dr. Torquati]: How we prepare early
- [00:00:45.622]childhood educators to really effectively
- [00:00:47.742]be environmental educators, to feel comfortable
- [00:00:50.582]working in natural environments, to understand
- [00:00:53.302]the variety of ways that you can help
- [00:00:55.222]children to connect with nature, learn about
- [00:00:58.562][Narrator]: Nature education is one of
- [00:00:59.942]a variety of faculty research areas in the
- [00:01:02.702]UNL Department of Child, Youth and Family
- [00:01:05.202]Studies. Students benefit from experiences
- [00:01:08.162]that help them develop their own research
- [00:01:10.741]with guidance from faculty mentors.
- [00:01:13.242][Ibrahim]: As a student, you know, you
- [00:01:15.222]obviously need a mentor, you know, the
- [00:01:16.863]guidance and the resource, so Dr. Torquati
- [00:01:19.182]helped me, directed me on the right path,
- [00:01:22.832]with my own ideas, and then,
- [00:01:24.582]she would hear me and support my ideas.
- [00:01:26.681][Dr. Torquati]: There's a lot to do in
- [00:01:28.242]graduate school, but you don't do it all
- [00:01:30.802]at once. There's one step at a time,
- [00:01:32.802]and, you know, each component of that we'll
- [00:01:36.641]walk through with students and provide the
- [00:01:38.502]kind of support that they need.
- [00:01:40.262][Narrator]: By the time students graduate,
- [00:01:42.262]Dr. Torquati says they are ready to
- [00:01:44.741]lead the way in research and education.
Log in to post comments