Cody Hollist Faculty Profile - Child, Youth and Family Studies
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.742][Narrator]: As a young man, Cody Hollist
- [00:00:03.132]lived in Brazil for two years, and returned
- [00:00:05.062]later with his family to do an internship
- [00:00:07.782]as part of his doctoral program.
- [00:00:09.481]Along the way, he adopted his son,
- [00:00:12.521]and learned a lot about families.
- [00:00:14.882][Cody Hollist]: That was really exciting
- [00:00:16.802]to see that within the Brazilian families
- [00:00:19.022]the quality of the relationship
- [00:00:21.482]between both parents had a real big impact
- [00:00:24.341]on the child's development, and on the
- [00:00:27.602]relationship between the child and the
- [00:00:29.281]other parent.
- [00:00:30.542][Narrator]: Research conducted by Dr. Hollist
- [00:00:32.461]led to suggestions for prenatal programs at
- [00:00:35.121]medical clinics in Brazil.
- [00:00:37.002][Dr. Hollist]: They've been able to implement
- [00:00:39.262]some changes that have now done a better
- [00:00:43.682]job of including both parents in the
- [00:00:45.602]prenatal process.
- [00:00:47.182][Narrator]: Dr. Hollist also studies resilience
- [00:00:49.682]among immigrant families in Nebraska and
- [00:00:52.222]military families affected by deployment.
- [00:00:54.842]He inspires his students to explore and
- [00:00:57.642]discover their own interests.
- [00:00:59.922][Gabrielle Beadel]: He is fantastic.
- [00:01:01.862]I have been able to come in here, and talk
- [00:01:04.522]to him about how my classes are going
- [00:01:07.242]and he's been able to provide me with the,
- [00:01:09.442]not only the research experience that I need,
- [00:01:13.382]but also the support that I need to keep me
- [00:01:18.322][Dr. Hollist]: I try to create an environment
- [00:01:19.661]in class where we can have some open dicussion,
- [00:01:22.022]and where the students feel safe enough to
- [00:01:24.541]talk about what they really believe,
- [00:01:27.182]as opposed to what they think the professor
- [00:01:28.662]wants them to say.
- [00:01:29.922][Gabrielle Beadel]: Honestly, if I wouldn't
- [00:01:31.002]have met him, I don't know where I would be
- [00:01:32.842]today for my undergrad and for my masters.
- [00:01:37.302][Narrator]: Dr. Hollist enjoys watching
- [00:01:38.982]students translate passion and knowledge
- [00:01:41.941]into the ability to work with families
- [00:01:44.041]and make a difference.
Log in to post comments