A Summer Update from Mike
Last week was a big week for the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and for our Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:03.770]Last week was a big week for the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and for our Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources.
- [00:00:11.010]After a successful search led by CASNR’s very own Tiffany Heng-Moss, we have a new chancellor,
- [00:00:17.350]Dr. Rodney Bennet.
- [00:00:18.785]He is the right leader at the right time.
- [00:00:21.554]He is student-centered, and while he doesn’t come from agriculture,
- [00:00:25.291]he understands the importance of agriculture and natural resources to Nebraska and its land-grant university.
- [00:00:32.532]He is eager to travel the state and learn more, and I'm thrilled to begin working with him in the coming weeks.
- [00:00:39.305]We are one step closer to the USDA Ag Research Service National Center for Resilient and Regenerative Agriculture on Innovation Campus.
- [00:00:49.849]Last week, the Senate Appropriations Committee voted to advance $25 million for the National Center,
- [00:00:58.091]as well as an additional set of funding for the National Drought Mitigation Center, and the National Ag Producers Data Cooperative.
- [00:01:07.167]This announcement came just days after Nebraska’s entire congressional delegation visited East Campus
- [00:01:14.741]to learn more about the ways IANR research is helping to advance Nebraska Agriculture.
- [00:01:21.214]After the visit, all five delegates voiced staunch support for increased funding for agricultural and natural resources research in the next Farm Bill.
- [00:01:32.459]No doubt, their support is because of your dedication, passion, and outstanding work.
- [00:01:38.298]Thank you.
- [00:01:39.399]The road ahead isn’t without bumps.
- [00:01:42.168]Our university is facing serious budget shortfalls, and the steps to address it will be felt across the entire NU system.
- [00:01:50.310]This is a time when we must double down and continue to build on our strengths.
- [00:01:55.014]Our teaching and learning, research and discovery, and Extension and engagement efforts,
- [00:02:00.487]are highly aligned with helping grow Nebraska while feeding, fueling, and fibering a growing world.
- [00:02:07.460]We are a key part of UNL’s land-grant mission.
- [00:02:11.431]We are relevant.
- [00:02:12.866]We matter.
- [00:02:14.367]Thank you for keeping the faith and for our focus on the things that advance our science and scholarship,
- [00:02:22.141]and helping individuals and communities thrive.
- [00:02:25.645]IANR is a special place where everyone and every interaction matters.
- [00:02:31.417]Thank you, to each of you, for your creativity, leadership, and for being part of this institute.
- [00:02:38.892]In July, IANR’s expanded leadership team will be meeting to think boldly and creatively about our future.
- [00:02:47.200]I look forward to sharing our ideas and creative direction with all of you at this September's All-Hands meeting.
- [00:02:55.375]In the meantime, make sure to take time this summer to rest and recharge.
- [00:03:00.880]Keep up the outstanding work.
- [00:03:03.216]Despite the challenges facing our university and our world, I believe that for IANR, now is our time. Let’s go!
Log in to post comments