Creating a Robot Game
Students in the School of Computing Design Studio program design and build a fighting robot game.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.680](upbeat music)
- [00:00:04.260]Right now, we're in a project
- [00:00:05.640]called the "Running Robot Game," which is basically,
- [00:00:10.170]we had to create, or have to create a video game
- [00:00:13.170]based on or inspired by the movie "Running Man."
- [00:00:17.610]The one, was it the '80s, '70s movie?
- [00:00:22.500]What our team came up with
- [00:00:23.760]is creating three RC cars that we made.
- [00:00:27.870]So you can choose if you want to be a stalker
- [00:00:30.810]or you want to be a runner.
- [00:00:32.670]And they will be mounted with
- [00:00:34.200]IR Lasers and IR receivers
- [00:00:35.670]so they'll be able to shoot each other.
- [00:00:37.500]The way I think about it,
- [00:00:38.400]it's battle bots meets laser tag.
- [00:00:42.810]It's, you know, actual physical,
- [00:00:44.430]little remote controlled vehicles
- [00:00:46.920]shooting laser beans at each other.
- [00:00:49.860]You always have to do that in air quotes.
- [00:00:51.360]So it's kind of cool that we have the hard work.
- [00:00:53.370]They're driving each other, shooting each other,
- [00:00:54.690]but then the web application that shows what the scores are,
- [00:00:57.630]what the health are for those robots.
- [00:00:59.670]It is a professional setting
- [00:01:01.680]that the students are expected to act
- [00:01:03.240]like it's a real thing because,
- [00:01:04.890]well it is to the sponsor.
- [00:01:06.690]We update them on what we can do,
- [00:01:09.000]if there's any issues and roadblocks.
- [00:01:10.860]Things that we need to work on.
- [00:01:12.840]You know, some sponsors understandably choose
- [00:01:15.120]to hire new college graduates,
- [00:01:17.190]and you can almost think of it
- [00:01:18.690]as a nine month interview process.
- [00:01:21.090]You get to build a relationship where like,
- [00:01:23.010]you start getting to know that person a lot
- [00:01:25.170]to where you anticipate what it is
- [00:01:27.330]they might like and they might not like.
- [00:01:28.620]So yeah, definitely a good relationship.
- [00:01:31.486](upbeat music)
Log in to post comments