TAPP | CYFS Research Snapshots
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.167](upbeat music)
- [00:00:04.740]So, Teachers and Parents as Partners,
- [00:00:06.810]or TAPP is an evidence-based intervention,
- [00:00:09.657]which brings parents and teachers together to problem solve
- [00:00:13.860]around challenges within the classroom.
- [00:00:16.320]This project in particular was with a new population,
- [00:00:20.370]parents and youth of Latinx origin.
- [00:00:23.481]The TAPP Latinx project is a relatively
- [00:00:25.856]new study just completed.
- [00:00:28.080]I was funded by the Institute of Education Sciences
- [00:00:30.900]and they gave us the opportunity to ask a question
- [00:00:33.360]that hadn't been asked before, and that is,
- [00:00:36.000]whether the approach that we use, creating partnerships
- [00:00:39.030]between teachers and parents is effective
- [00:00:42.300]for families and students who identify as Latinx.
- [00:00:45.990]We had several significant findings in this study.
- [00:00:48.480]First, for students, we identified increased social skills
- [00:00:52.500]and adaptive behaviors.
- [00:00:54.150]We saw better relationships between parents
- [00:00:57.000]and their child's teacher, including enhanced communication.
- [00:01:00.840]We wanted to make sure our project was effective
- [00:01:04.740]given the language barriers.
- [00:01:06.420]So, we worked hard to address those using either consultants
- [00:01:10.470]who spoke Spanish or translators, so that parents
- [00:01:13.980]and teachers could effectively work together
- [00:01:16.440]With the TAPP intervention, we always start
- [00:01:19.110]with the notion of where families are at.
- [00:01:22.710]So, instead of talking about challenges,
- [00:01:25.560]I like to think about the TAPP intervention
- [00:01:27.520]as identifying opportunities to build on family strengths
- [00:01:32.550]and to really leverage those strengths
- [00:01:34.320]in ways that can continue to support their children.
- [00:01:37.800]We are really about creating partnerships
- [00:01:40.080]and connections as a new way of doing business.
- [00:01:43.290]So, this intervention gave us the opportunity
- [00:01:45.951]to work within that mindset in ways that allowed us
- [00:01:49.800]to continue to respect one another,
- [00:01:52.604]but respect one another as partners.
- [00:01:55.050]Parents are telling us that they feel like they have voice,
- [00:01:58.320]they have the capacity to turn to their child's teachers
- [00:02:01.971]and share ideas and ask meaningful questions.
- [00:02:06.720]They had access to educators
- [00:02:10.110]and teachers in ways that they hadn't before.
- [00:02:13.536](upbeat music concludes)
Log in to post comments