Business Abroad: Garrett
Garrett Smith, accounting and management major from Lees Summit, Missouri, shares his experience and what he loves after arriving to study abroad in Barcelona, Spain, during the summer.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.060]My name is Garrett Smith,
- [00:00:01.320]and I am going to be a junior accounting
- [00:00:04.020]and management major and with a minor in psychology.
- [00:00:06.810]So that's me.
- [00:00:08.100]So this would've been like one of the only summers
- [00:00:10.620]that I would've been able to study abroad.
- [00:00:12.540]That's kind of what kind of pushed me to do it.
- [00:00:14.103]I've also never really been abroad.
- [00:00:16.500]I've never been to Europe.
- [00:00:17.430]And also I know UNL has that big history here
- [00:00:19.500]in Barcelona too, so I knew that it was gonna be
- [00:00:22.500]a really good program,
- [00:00:23.333]and I just kind of wanted to push myself
- [00:00:24.870]and do something different than just work.
- [00:00:26.790]Yeah, that's right.
Yeah, I think
- [00:00:28.230]I just mentioned to them early like right when I signed up
- [00:00:31.740]and they were super supportive, which was great.
- [00:00:34.050]And then I've kind of like,
- [00:00:35.970]kind of mentioned it, keep going like as I've been
- [00:00:38.190]like fundraising and other stuff like that.
- [00:00:40.050]So I've kind of tried to keep them in the loop
- [00:00:41.970]as much as I can, but I've also kind of tried
- [00:00:44.190]to do it a lot myself as well.
- [00:00:46.258]I got a lot of scholarships through the College of Business,
- [00:00:48.840]the Business Honors Academy, huge shout-out,
- [00:00:51.360]pretty good scholarship for that one.
- [00:00:52.950]And then I just applied, I think it's... is it called MAPS?
- [00:00:55.890]Yeah, mm-hmm.
- [00:00:56.723]So that's one of the ones I applied to
- [00:00:57.840]that like it's multiple,
- [00:00:59.100]and they compound with each other.
- [00:01:00.390]So that's how I got a lot of it paid for.
- [00:01:02.520]And then everything else I've kind of paid for myself
- [00:01:04.590]like outside of scholarships.
- [00:01:06.390]So this Saturday we were running
- [00:01:07.680]through the Metro because we were trying to get
- [00:01:09.780]to like a club before like their sale ended.
- [00:01:14.340]So we were trying to get there by 1:30
- [00:01:16.050]and a couple of the other of us were just running
- [00:01:18.030]through the Metro trying to reach the right stop
- [00:01:20.400]and we missed it, so we just looked really stupid.
- [00:01:22.890]But that was pretty funny,
- [00:01:24.720]so I thought that one was pretty fun.
- [00:01:26.580]I mean, we've just been, Tarragona.
- [00:01:28.080]We went to Tarragona, which is a city
- [00:01:29.400]in North Barcelona; that was really, really cool.
- [00:01:31.410]It's like an old ancient ruins of like the Roman cities.
- [00:01:35.310]I've just been blown away
- [00:01:36.143]with like the architecture in general and the food.
- [00:01:38.820]It's a lot better and it's cheaper.
- [00:01:41.084]I was more worried about actually like ordering it
- [00:01:43.560]and communicating it than actually eating it.
- [00:01:45.570]So I'm a very, like, I'm not a picky eater,
- [00:01:47.280]so it's kind of I'll just try anything and eat anything.
- [00:01:50.340]Learning to communicate.
I think you just
- [00:01:51.840]have to do it.
- [00:01:52.673]You pick up-
Hand signals. (laughs)
- [00:01:53.506]Yeah, you pick up like words as well.
- [00:01:55.050]And I know a good amount of the words already
- [00:01:57.090]so it's good to know a couple of those before you go
- [00:01:59.100]just so you can communicate somewhat.
- [00:02:01.770]I would say just do it and like, not say not think about it,
- [00:02:04.860]but like I think we can always make excuses not to go
- [00:02:08.130]like in terms of like, "Oh, I need to stay, do internship,
- [00:02:10.770]like work, make money," and like it's a valid argument.
- [00:02:14.040]I feel like this is a lot more valuable
- [00:02:16.350]than that in terms of just like the experience
- [00:02:19.320]and like how you grow as a person.
- [00:02:21.000]I think by the end, it'll suck by the end
- [00:02:23.430]because I'll be used to it and wanna stay
- [00:02:25.050]and then I'll have to leave.
- [00:02:26.550]And I mean, it's worth it. I think so.
- [00:02:30.623]Perfect. Thank you, that's a wrap.
Log in to post comments