3 Questions with Ronnie | Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media Arts
Chancellor Ronnie Green poses three questions about the Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media Arts to director Megan Elliott and senior Sophia Stueven.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.489](bright upbeat music)
- [00:00:05.769]Four years ago we opened the Johnny Carson Center
- [00:00:07.230]for the Emerging Media Arts,
- [00:00:08.970]and it was a big day at Nebraska when that happened.
- [00:00:12.000]Megan, you know, you're the director of the center.
- [00:00:15.000]What is so unique and innovative
- [00:00:17.280]about the Johnny Carson Center?
- [00:00:19.290]We are completely unique and innovative.
- [00:00:20.880]There is not a single program across the country
- [00:00:23.460]which has a basis in storytelling,
- [00:00:25.470]visual expression, and design,
- [00:00:27.090]computational media, and entrepreneurship.
- [00:00:29.400]We're right at the bleeding edge.
- [00:00:31.050]So Megan, how does the center work with partners
- [00:00:34.440]to stay up on all of the emerging trends that are happening?
- [00:00:37.629]There are a lot of them in the media arts.
- [00:00:39.780]Well, we are deeply connected to industry.
- [00:00:42.270]All of our faculty are, I am,
- [00:00:44.220]we have guest industry speakers every week,
- [00:00:46.560]and we also go out and visit them.
- [00:00:48.090]Our students have visited Disney Imagineering in LA,
- [00:00:51.120]Marshmallow Laser Feast in London,
- [00:00:52.800]Tribeca in New York, Meow Wolf in Las Vegas.
- [00:00:55.710]And thanks to the Johnny Carson Foundation,
- [00:00:58.200]our students have the opportunity
- [00:00:59.850]to have travel scholarships to go out and meet industry,
- [00:01:03.000]both domestically and internationally
- [00:01:05.100]during their four-year undergraduate degree.
- [00:01:07.350]And those lightning earrings say
- [00:01:08.850]you're striking lightning everywhere you go.
- [00:01:11.097](laughing) I'm striking lightning everywhere.
- [00:01:12.690]So, Sophia, you're in our first official graduating class-
- [00:01:16.440]Yes, sir.
From the Carson Center.
- [00:01:18.030]What kinds of unique experiences have you been able to have
- [00:01:21.690]that you're gonna carry with you into your career?
- [00:01:24.060]For sure.
- [00:01:25.351]So there's one that is just a crazy opportunity.
- [00:01:28.860]Trent Claus came from LA, moved back to Lincoln,
- [00:01:31.950]and he's an alum from UNL, and he started this new branch
- [00:01:35.760]of Lola VFX, which is a great opportunity,
- [00:01:39.360]because he started hiring students from the school.
- [00:01:41.790]This opportunity has gotten me credits in stuff like
- [00:01:43.987]"Obi-Wan Kenobi," and "Mandalorian,"
- [00:01:46.740]and "Thor: Love and Thunder,"
- [00:01:48.840]and stuff like that is crazy for an undergrad.
- [00:01:51.570]And I'm honestly so thankful for UNL,
- [00:01:54.228]and just, like, the great alumni base that we have,
- [00:01:57.480]it's just a really great opportunity for me.
- [00:02:00.300]Well, we know you're gonna do big and good things,
- [00:02:02.970]so we look forward to seeing those in the future.
- [00:02:06.613](bright upbeat music)
Log in to post comments