Dean Button on Experiential Learning
Dean Mark Button talks about the value of experiential learning in the College of Arts and Sciences.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.400]In the College of Arts and Sciences,
- [00:00:01.901]we are committed to every student's
academic and career success.
- [00:00:05.905]For us, this means that we must not only
provide students with an outstanding,
- [00:00:09.509]comprehensive education in the liberal
arts and sciences, but also that we must
- [00:00:13.646]provide students with unique opportunities
to apply and extend this learning
- [00:00:17.951]in practical hands on ways
through internships, research experiences,
- [00:00:22.856]education abroad, and significant service
and leadership experiences.
- [00:00:27.327]We place an emphasis on planning
and preparing for these types
- [00:00:30.663]of experiential learning opportunities
for three primary reasons.
they are a truly transformative feature
- [00:00:37.937]of a student's educational experience
at UNL and will help shape students
- [00:00:42.042]as future leaders,
global citizens and lifelong learners.
- [00:00:45.879]Second, since these experiences are
thoughtfully integrated with the students
- [00:00:49.649]chosen course of study,
experiential learning deepens and enriches
- [00:00:53.920]the learning that they're doing
in the classroom and lab.
- [00:00:56.923]And third, we firmly believe that academics plus experiences equals opportunities.
- [00:01:03.263]We know that employers in Nebraska
- [00:01:05.398]prioritize critical and creative
thinking, strong communication skills,
- [00:01:09.803]and the ability to work collaboratively
with others in their hiring decisions.
- [00:01:13.807]Employers are looking for innovators
who can look at problems
- [00:01:16.443]from multiple frames of reference
and diverse points of view.
- [00:01:20.046]An interdisciplinary education
in our college
- [00:01:22.348]equip students with these high demand
and transferable skills.
- [00:01:26.019]And with the integration of experiential
learning in their studies, our graduates
- [00:01:30.123]leave the College of Arts and Sciences
with the skills and experience
- [00:01:33.293]is necessary
to begin doing the work on day one.
- [00:01:37.230]This is true.
- [00:01:37.931]Hands on learning the changes, lives,
and improves our world.
- [00:01:42.602]Thank you for taking the time
to learn a little bit
- [00:01:44.604]more about the priorities
in the College of Arts and Sciences.
Log in to post comments