3 Questions with Ronnie | Animal Science
Chancellor Ronnie Green poses three questions about UNL's Animal Science program to Animal Science professor Andrea Cupp and sophomore Animal Science major Josie Ganser.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.000](lively music)
- [00:00:04.440]Well, the University of Nebraska has always been known
- [00:00:06.870]as a leader in the animal science field
- [00:00:09.930]when we are, after all, The Beef State.
- [00:00:12.180]What does it mean, Andrea, for animal science
- [00:00:15.030]to be a comprehensive research department here in Nebraska.
- [00:00:19.740]We have a nationally known group of faculty
- [00:00:24.270]that really care.
- [00:00:25.470]We have stakeholders that support our efforts
- [00:00:29.220]and help develop facilities.
- [00:00:31.650]And then both of those combined together
- [00:00:34.440]really help us recruit students to our department
- [00:00:38.940]to develop a really great understanding of animal science
- [00:00:43.140]and the careers that are available.
- [00:00:44.970]So Josie, you're an undergrad student in animal science
- [00:00:48.000]here at the University of Nebraska.
- [00:00:49.980]You're from Ainsworth, Nebraska.
- [00:00:52.643]Tell us a little bit about what brought you here.
- [00:00:55.530]Growing up on a cattle operation in the Sandhills,
- [00:00:58.230]you don't really think of animal science in a context
- [00:01:01.200]beyond large animal agriculture and production agriculture.
- [00:01:04.680]When I came here
- [00:01:05.700]and got the opportunity to work in the lab with Dr. Cupp,
- [00:01:08.460]it really opened my eyes to a new area of questions
- [00:01:13.020]I never would've thought to ask.
- [00:01:14.670]And overall, it's just made me
- [00:01:17.130]a much more well-rounded student.
- [00:01:20.250]So, Andrea, talk a little bit about
- [00:01:21.960]what the ultimate importance is of this research work
- [00:01:26.100]in the animal sciences.
- [00:01:27.570]You were actually standing here talking
- [00:01:29.070]during National Ag Week.
- [00:01:30.570]Well, I think that as the population grows,
- [00:01:32.910]we're gonna have more and more people
- [00:01:35.550]that are counting on states like Nebraska.
- [00:01:38.880]What is great to me, is being a part of that.
- [00:01:42.870]I'm all about understanding how can we make our producers
- [00:01:46.440]more sustainable and more efficient.
- [00:01:48.780]I have to admit,
- [00:01:49.613]it's kind of cool to be taping this here in this facility.
- [00:01:53.070]And we actually moved into this building
- [00:01:55.800]my last year in my PhD.
- [00:01:57.900]Remember it so well.
- [00:01:59.250]So animal science, big deal to Nebraska,
- [00:02:02.550]international prominence,
- [00:02:03.930]continuing international prominence.
- [00:02:05.640]Congratulations on the great work.
- [00:02:07.694](lively music continues)
Log in to post comments