Welcome to the College of Arts and Sciences
McKenzie Nelson, global studies and German, talks about what the College of Arts and Sciences offers.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:06.072]Welcome to the College
of Arts and Sciences.
- [00:00:08.208]I'm McKenzie. I'm a senior here,
and I'm majoring
- [00:00:11.444]in global studies and German with minors
in human rights and humanitarian
- [00:00:15.849]affairs, history, political science
and Jewish studies.
- [00:00:20.186]One thing I love about
- [00:00:21.121]the college is my ability to take
all of the things that I'm curious about
- [00:00:25.225]and have classes in and be able to work
that into my majors and minors.
- [00:00:29.062]And some of the people that have been able
to help me do that are my advisors
- [00:00:32.899]and career coaches, which are all in this
building right behind me, Oldfather.
- [00:00:37.670]The advising center.
- [00:00:38.872]You can work with career coaches
or anyone in there for some help.
- [00:00:47.781]Hi Megan. Hi Mackenzie.
- [00:00:49.516]What is some advice
you'd give for incoming students?
- [00:00:52.852]Oh, that's a really good question.
- [00:00:54.187]I think the most important part
- [00:00:55.655]with regard to career coaching
is that they meet with us early and often.
- [00:00:59.659]So I think sometimes students assume
that they don't meet with a career coach
- [00:01:02.529]until they get really close to graduation.
- [00:01:04.564]But we really want to work
with our new students
- [00:01:06.199]to help them understand
- [00:01:07.434]what their opportunities are
- [00:01:08.501]for gaining experience,
how they can explore their options
- [00:01:11.471]so that we can build
an ongoing relationship with them,
- [00:01:13.907]so that by the time
they do get really close to graduation,
- [00:01:16.443]they feel really confident about what
their next steps are. Thanks Megan.
- [00:01:19.212]Every major or minor that I have,
- [00:01:20.880]I also have a different advisor,
so I have plenty of people here
- [00:01:23.583]to help me out and different people
I can go to to work on my four year plan.
- [00:01:27.987]My advisors are in this building,
but yours might be in a different building
- [00:01:31.991]in your own department.
- [00:01:33.326]So it could be in Burnett,
it could be in Hamilton,
- [00:01:35.895]it could be in a lot of different places.
- [00:01:37.730]Burnett Hall up there.
- [00:01:41.201]This is Oldfather
Hall. Over there is Bessey.
- [00:01:45.371]Here's Avery and Hamilton.
- [00:01:47.807]And that's just a
few of the buildings on campus
- [00:01:50.043]that belong to the College
of Arts and Sciences.
- [00:01:52.078]And they're all really
right near to Oldfather, I really like
- [00:01:55.815]the College of Arts and Sciences focuses
on both experiences and academics here.
- [00:02:00.787]Right when I got here,
I created a four year plan that had
- [00:02:03.957]not only the classes I wanted to take,
but also the experiences I wanted to have.
- [00:02:08.161]And having that idea
of all the opportunities out there,
- [00:02:11.331]it's really helped me to emphasize
what I care about
- [00:02:15.101]and be prepared for the opportunities
that come my way after college.
- [00:02:18.671]In the College of Arts and Sciences,
I've had a lot of resources
- [00:02:21.741]that have helped me
and led me to be able to have internships.
- [00:02:24.978]When I was in my sophomore year,
I got to work for the U.S.
- [00:02:27.347]State Department
- [00:02:28.581]with some Russian students,
teaching them English,
- [00:02:30.583]which is a wonderful opportunity.
- [00:02:32.652]And it set me on the path to be able
to apply for the Fulbright this year.
- [00:02:36.956]So that's really been exciting.
- [00:02:38.858]Adele Commons is another
great place to study.
- [00:02:41.728]Get some Dunkin Donuts.
- [00:02:43.163]It's connected to a library
so you don't even have to go outside.
- [00:02:47.200]And in there is going to be
the Digital Learning Center.
- [00:02:50.470]That's where you're going to take
- [00:02:51.337]some of your tests
that your teacher might call it the DLC.
- [00:02:55.175]If you need to go there,
that's where you'll go.
- [00:02:57.177]Language Lab is one of the many resources
we have at the College
- [00:03:00.713]of Arts and Sciences.
- [00:03:02.148]This is a wonderful place for you to go.
- [00:03:04.551]If you want some help with language
learning or just a place to study.
- [00:03:09.088]And you can also get help
from tutors that are here.
- [00:03:11.324]We have Spanish, German, French
and sometimes Russian tutors.
- [00:03:15.094]They'll come and sit here.
- [00:03:16.763]So if you need any help with homework,
there's always someone here to help.
- [00:03:21.801]The Nebraska Union in the basement
is going to be the bookstore
- [00:03:28.841]where you get books,
get some Husker gear for game days,
- [00:03:32.579]and there's also some restaurants in there
that you can eat at or just study.
- [00:03:38.218]And I'm up at the 12th floor and Oldfather
at the Dean's Office.
- [00:03:41.521]I'm going to take
you in to meet Dean Button.
- [00:03:50.630]Hello, Dean. Hey McKenzie.
- [00:03:56.202]Great to see you. Hi, everybody.
- [00:03:58.071]Welcome to the College
of Arts and Sciences.
- [00:03:59.806]We look forward to welcoming you
to campus. Thanks.
- [00:04:02.408]I can't wait to see you
at the College of Arts and Sciences.
- [00:04:05.578]You come for a college visit,
- [00:04:06.646]you might just see me way up
on the 10th floor of Oldfather.
- [00:04:11.551]Have a good day. Bye.
Log in to post comments