3 Questions with Ronnie | Cornhusker Marching Band
Chancellor Ronnie Green talks with the team behind the Pride of All Nebraska.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:04.110]Tony, you've been a couple of decades
- [00:00:06.540]as the leader of the Cornhusker Marching Band.
- [00:00:08.910]What what might be some things that people might not know
- [00:00:12.060]or might surprise them about the Pride of All Nebraska?
- [00:00:15.060]For me, it would be the the academic achievement and diversity of our students.
- [00:00:20.070]We have 300 students, and they represent every college.
- [00:00:23.760]They represent more than 60 majors.
- [00:00:26.490]And we routinely have Chancellor's Scholars, Honors Program students.
- [00:00:31.560]We have a member of the Innocents Society.
- [00:00:33.960]Our current median GPA is over 3.5.
- [00:00:37.530]And we have 25 students carrying a 4.0 in the marching band.
- [00:00:41.250]Wow, that's impressive.
- [00:00:43.050]It's impressive.
- [00:00:44.370]Doug, you put together shows.
- [00:00:46.680]You know, so we get to see the result of that work
- [00:00:49.620]on pregame and at halftime during football season.
- [00:00:53.490]What's it take to put together a show like that?
- [00:00:56.430]First it takes creativity to come up with the idea of the show,
- [00:00:59.580]the theme of it and put the music together.
- [00:01:01.920]Then it also takes creativity to put the formations on the field.
- [00:01:05.280]It's part art project part math problem.
- [00:01:08.220]And then the choreography that goes along with the flag line and twirlers.
- [00:01:12.300]And you have different people doing that.
- [00:01:13.620]So it takes coordination with the team.
- [00:01:16.290]And then communicating that with the performers.
- [00:01:18.840]So we use an iPad to deliver all of our music and all of our visual design.
- [00:01:23.280]And then last, it takes discipline on the part of the performers
- [00:01:26.460]to work on that material and get it ready for Saturday's performing halftime.
- [00:01:31.800]It's a great honor as a student to be in the Cornhusker Marching Band.
- [00:01:35.340]Talk a little bit about what that feels like for you as a student,
- [00:01:39.390]and maybe even how you get ready for the show.
- [00:01:41.750]As a student, it's brought me my greatest source
- [00:01:44.510]of companionship throughout college.
- [00:01:46.200]Some of my best friends are in the marching band.
- [00:01:48.240]And it's also just really cool to be a part of such a long-standing tradition
- [00:01:52.170]of playing for the most supportive fans in college football,
- [00:01:54.990]whether that be the band or the team on the field.
- [00:01:57.450]Our stands are always packed for pregame and halftime
- [00:02:00.000]and we feel very supportive in the shows
- [00:02:03.330]that we're putting together every week.
- [00:02:05.670]Well we really appreciate what the Cornhusker marching band does.
- [00:02:08.759]It's always a treat every week to see what's coming next.
- [00:02:12.000]Looking forward to a great Oklahoma game this weekend.
Log in to post comments