Welcome to the College of Arts and Sciences
A welcome to and overview of the College of Arts and Sciences from Dean Mark Button.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:03.136]Greetings and welcome
to the College of Arts and Sciences.
- [00:00:06.339]The original founding college
of the university.
- [00:00:10.210]We are home to the humanities, natural
and mathematical sciences,
- [00:00:13.980]social sciences and unique
- [00:00:18.118]Our unifying thread
is that we are dedicated to seeking truth,
- [00:00:21.755]advancing knowledge, and deepening
our understanding of humanity.
- [00:00:26.393]We are all about letting curiosity
move students to do big things.
- [00:00:31.831]Our mission is to inspire, challenge,
and help prepare students
- [00:00:35.702]to be innovators,
leaders, lifelong learners,
- [00:00:39.105]and informed citizens through
a comprehensive liberal arts education.
- [00:00:43.143]With a focus on experiential learning.
- [00:00:46.046]With a degree from the College of Arts
and Sciences, students have the knowledge,
- [00:00:49.582]skills and cultural awareness
necessary to flourish
- [00:00:52.919]in a rapidly changing global environment.
- [00:00:56.056]This means that our students
will cultivate and expand their abilities
- [00:01:00.293]to think independently and critically,
- [00:01:03.863]and work collaboratively
with diverse groups of people.
- [00:01:07.801]Students are empowered
to shape their own education
- [00:01:10.703]through a flexible
and customizable degree.
- [00:01:14.240]Our outstanding academic advisors
and career coaches
- [00:01:17.143]connect students to the resources
and the opportunities that enable them
- [00:01:21.381]to explore and develop
their talents and potential.
- [00:01:25.285]Many incoming students
and their parents are rightly concerned
- [00:01:28.288]about the cost of higher education
and the return on investment
- [00:01:32.492]based on numerous employer surveys
that are conducted every year.
- [00:01:36.429]We know that students with a liberal arts
and science degree
- [00:01:39.732]have a unique competitive advantage.
- [00:01:43.436]Employers are consistently
- [00:01:46.272]and creative thinking, strong
communication skills and the ability
- [00:01:50.410]to work collaboratively as the key skills
they're looking for.
- [00:01:54.614]They are seeking innovators
who can look at problems
- [00:01:57.083]from multiple frames
of reference and diverse points of view.
- [00:02:01.221]Our interdisciplinary
education equips students
- [00:02:03.590]with these high demand
and transferable skills.
- [00:02:08.495]We emphasize the importance
- [00:02:10.096]of experiential learning
in the College of Arts and Sciences.
- [00:02:13.299]Every student will have at least
- [00:02:16.603]hands on learning experience
during their time at UNL.
- [00:02:19.472]Whether that's in the lab, in the field,
through an internship,
- [00:02:23.376]a significant service commitment
or an education abroad opportunity.
- [00:02:28.414]And I'd like to leave you
with this last thought.
- [00:02:30.550]Our competitive advantage
- [00:02:32.452]is that we are the flagship research
university in the state, giving students
- [00:02:36.523]the unique opportunity
for one on one interaction
- [00:02:39.592]and then mentoring
from experts in their field.
- [00:02:43.062]In the College of Arts and Sciences,
we combine the competitive advantages
- [00:02:46.599]of being part of a prestigious Big
Ten academic alliance with a close
- [00:02:50.803]and caring community that is embodied
in the principle that every person
- [00:02:54.941]and every interaction matters.
- [00:02:57.644]Thank you for spending time
- [00:02:58.645]with us and for learning more
about the College of Arts and Sciences.
Log in to post comments