Inside Nebraska Business | July 2022
College of Business Dean Kathy Farrell recaps the Advisory Board Awards and looks forward to fall events.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:04.530]Hello and welcome to the July edition of Inside
Nebraska Business highlighting some of the big
- [00:00:10.530]achievements from the spring.
- [00:00:12.630]In April, we hosted our largest ever annual Advisory
Board Award Celebration.
- [00:00:18.060]Board Chair Lisa Smith and I presented the 2022 awards
to those leading the future of business.
- [00:00:25.560]Bryan Health received the corporate leadership award
and shared insight from a consultant.
- [00:00:31.170]He says I've never consulted in the Midwest before I
always heard about Midwestern values and work ethic.
- [00:00:37.800]He said today I saw it for the first time.
- [00:00:40.260]He said I saw we before me one team one purpose, no
whining, just put your head down and get through it.
- [00:00:47.430]What does grit really mean?
- [00:00:49.620]The Young Alumni Award went to Luke Hansen.
- [00:00:52.770]We've realized that the problem that we are trying to
solve at CompanyCam is to help contractors build trust
- [00:00:59.190]through truth and transparency.
- [00:01:00.780]We are trying to help the best contractors succeed by
building trust in the market with their customers.
- [00:01:07.530]Jane Miller received the Business Leadership Award and
spoke about Don Clifton.
- [00:01:13.470]Well, my dad knew I love business.
- [00:01:15.300]And my dad knew I loved teaching.
- [00:01:17.550]And what he said was he said, think about going into
Teachers College and Business College.
- [00:01:23.580]That profound vision led to the Clifton Strengths
- [00:01:27.090]They are raising, developing absolutely tremendous
- [00:01:33.330]They're learning the differences in what makes a great
business, what makes great jobs, and what makes an
- [00:01:38.970]exceptional culture starts with people.
- [00:01:42.650]And JoAnn Martin was honored posthumously with a
Lifetime Achievement Award.
- [00:01:48.740]I do recall from her conversation about as you find
those things that you want to put your time into, you
- [00:01:55.820]can't say yes to everything.
- [00:01:57.560]You need to find those individual things that you're
very passionate about.
- [00:02:00.770]And for her, she articulated those three things to be
her family personally and professionally; education has
- [00:02:08.810]always been a huge focus for my mom and making sure
that the next generation had more opportunities than
- [00:02:14.330]the current.
- [00:02:15.140]And then the last one is really mentoring and
developing others in that next generation and the
- [00:02:19.340]younger six especially women, but spending time to
develop other people.
- [00:02:23.810]Congratulations to our honorees.
- [00:02:26.780]In May we announced a new partnership with Lincoln
- [00:02:30.770]The newest focus program called Nebraska Business at
Standing Bear High School will launch in fall 2023.
- [00:02:38.060]We've talked about how to give students an experience
from the moment that they enter to the moment they
- [00:02:42.170]leave Standing Bear, even if they don't choose to
become part of this focus program but have experiences
- [00:02:48.470]at the College of Business and with University of
- [00:02:51.200]Through hands on immersion experiences in early college
pathways, the focus program will allow Standing Bear
- [00:02:56.270]High School students to explore their passion and
career opportunities in the areas of marketing,
- [00:03:01.010]management, accounting, finance, supply chain and
- [00:03:04.820]There can be no more important work and learning that
our students do.
- [00:03:09.890]We also brought franchise back to Nebraska Business for
students across campus.
- [00:03:15.020]Lindsay Thompsen joined the college this spring to
relaunch the Nebraska Franchise Club and franchising
- [00:03:21.170]courses this fall, with help from successful franchise
- [00:03:25.730]Franchisors offer the chance to buy into a business
under an established business model and trademark.
- [00:03:33.320]Our goal is to support young entrepreneurs by helping
them to start something, grow something and learn about
- [00:03:42.080]Open to students of any major, the new franchising
classes will show how franchising is wildly successful
- [00:03:49.520]and accessible to everyone.
- [00:03:52.439]Also coming this fall we are offering three Power
Lunches for business professionals.
- [00:03:57.629]Learn about positive leadership, unlocking motivation,
and the five generation workplace.
- [00:04:04.529]Additionally, we are kicking off our inaugural
Nonprofit Management Institute designed to advance the
- [00:04:12.264]success of your organization, whatever its size or mission.
- [00:04:16.739]The three nondegree executive certificate tracks
include nonprofit management, finance and fundraising
- [00:04:24.597]and help refine the skills needed to make a larger and
- [00:04:29.939]Mark your calendars for our annual Back to School Bash.
Come back to campus to welcome students this fall and
- [00:04:37.625]help celebrate our fifth anniversary in Hawks Hall.
- [00:04:41.189]We hope to see you on campus for an event this fall.
- [00:04:45.209]Thanks for joining us and Go Big Red
Log in to post comments