Clarissa Mason shares the her experience as a peer mentor
Clarissa Mason shares how her experience as a peer mentor in the Learning Communities has offered relevant skills to her anticipated future in medical school.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.510]I think the most transformational
- [00:00:01.800]has been the peer mentor position
- [00:00:03.300]for the learning communities.
- [00:00:04.740]It's allowed me to work with students
- [00:00:06.565]in a much deeper, personal environment than I have before.
- [00:00:11.400]And it's been a lot of fun.
- [00:00:14.340]It's allowed me to apply what I've learned in my classes.
- [00:00:17.610]And just in other leadership positions I've held
- [00:00:19.350]throughout high school and in college to something
- [00:00:22.050]that's I have a pretty small group,
- [00:00:23.790]I've got about 12 students.
- [00:00:24.870]And so we've formed a pretty close-knit group
- [00:00:28.080]and I've been able to kinda lead them through their classes
- [00:00:30.660]and through just experiences they've had in general,
- [00:00:34.170]in ways that I haven't necessarily
- [00:00:35.730]had to lead people before.
- [00:00:37.560]So, I'm a pre-med student with biochem major.
- [00:00:40.140]And so one of my aspirations is to go to medical school.
- [00:00:43.590]And within that, there's a lot of, I think, peer mentorship.
- [00:00:47.580]And especially as I get into my career
- [00:00:49.830]as an attending physician, there's going to be that level
- [00:00:53.143]of interaction between the physician and the residents.
- [00:00:57.101]And I've always been a little bit nervous about that.
- [00:00:59.845]Just thinking about, you know, 10, 15 years down the line,
- [00:01:02.940]how that's gonna feel.
- [00:01:04.230]But I think this position has really opened me up to that,
- [00:01:07.860]to that idea and that concept.
- [00:01:09.720]And it's taught me a lot of
- [00:01:10.735]how that would work with people that-
Log in to post comments