Student Reflection: Sawyer Smith
Senior Sawyer Smith (mathematics) shared her experience at the college's Celebration of Excellence.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:03.570]This isn't really something that I like
to advertise to the public.
- [00:00:07.040]I do a lot of work in recruitment
and you know, we like to talk about
- [00:00:10.243]our profound moments where we discovered
that the university was our home.
- [00:00:15.448]My decision to come
here was a total shot in the dark.
- [00:00:19.386]I didn't visit Nebraska
before I decided to apply
- [00:00:23.123]or after I decided to apply,
or when I was admitted,
- [00:00:28.094]or after I committed
to coming to school here.
- [00:00:31.664]In fact, the first time that I set foot on
this campus was when I showed up
- [00:00:35.368]for new student enrollment
for my freshman year.
- [00:00:39.506]Frankly, that's been kind of a pattern
throughout my time here as a student.
- [00:00:43.643]When I changed my major
for the first time,
- [00:00:45.979]I really didn't know
it was going to work out.
- [00:00:48.148]All I knew was that I liked Calc two,
- [00:00:50.984]which is kind of a hot
take even for a math major.
- [00:00:55.121]When I first got
involved in the College of Arts
- [00:00:57.290]and Sciences as a student ambassador,
I didn't know if it was going to stick.
- [00:01:01.428]All I knew was that I didn't really have
friends here and I needed to meet people.
- [00:01:08.501]But kind of as a result of all this,
I am no stranger to taking chances,
- [00:01:13.540]especially when it comes to my education
and my experience as a college student.
- [00:01:17.811]I really didn't know
what a degree in math would lead to.
- [00:01:21.614]I didn't know what opportunities
my involvement as a CAS
- [00:01:25.385]ambassador would lead to.
- [00:01:26.352]And I still am not super
sure that I know the full extent
- [00:01:29.656]of those possibilities
or what I can do with this background.
- [00:01:33.726]But what I do know
is that when I leave this college
- [00:01:36.729]in, oh, like a week,
that's a little scary.
- [00:01:39.999]I am leaving with a skill set that spans
multiple subjects and a liberal arts
- [00:01:45.305]background that sets me up to succeed
regardless of where my path takes me.
- [00:01:51.044]We talk a lot in the college,
especially in recruitment,
- [00:01:53.813]about how we don't have to know
- [00:01:55.381]where we're going to end up in order
to get started on our journey.
- [00:01:59.352]And those ring those words ring more true
- [00:02:01.988]for me now than they ever did
when I was a freshman.
- [00:02:05.158]I couldn't have known on that hot,
very hot summer day
- [00:02:10.363]that this is where
I would be standing four years later.
- [00:02:13.833]But I did know the moment that I set foot
- [00:02:16.436]on UNL's campus that this was my home
- [00:02:20.039]and that no matter what I decided to do
or where I decided to go,
- [00:02:24.811]this college was going
to set me up for success.
- [00:02:29.149]So to the faculty
and staff, administrators
- [00:02:33.720]and mentors and everyone else
who has served to change my life
- [00:02:37.757]and the lives of thousands of others
on this campus and in this college.
- [00:02:41.895]Thank you for your hard work
and your dedication.
- [00:02:45.365]And to all of my fellow graduates,
my friends and my peers.
- [00:02:49.936]I wish you the absolute
best of luck in your futures.
- [00:02:53.506]And remember, there
is no place like Nebraska.
Log in to post comments