SDS2022 Alexander Eisele and the Pneumatic Leg Press for MS Patients
Alexander Eisele discusses his team's senior design capstone project - a pneumatic leg press workout machine for users who have multiple sclerosis.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.640]We're at the Senior Design Showcase 2022.
- [00:00:03.100]I'm here with Alexander Eisel,
- [00:00:05.420]and Alexander,
- [00:00:06.790]can you explain your project,
- [00:00:08.850]and why it's important to the society?
- [00:00:11.188]Yes, the project we had is a pneumatic leg press
- [00:00:14.020]for users with multiple sclerosis.
- [00:00:16.570]So, the importance of this is the pneumatic system
- [00:00:18.730]that is able to be shut off whenever is needed
- [00:00:21.870]for MS patients that have spasms
- [00:00:24.140]during their workout session,
- [00:00:26.180]because of this, it creates a safety issue.
- [00:00:28.820]So, the ability to completely release all pressure
- [00:00:31.880]is just safer for all users.
- [00:00:33.750]The impact this has
- [00:00:34.660]is actually the ability for them to work out things
- [00:00:38.110]that they wouldn't normally be able to work out,
- [00:00:40.220]muscles they wouldn't normally be able to work out,
- [00:00:42.380]for the ability to even have the effect
- [00:00:45.090]of some that were able to actually walk by themselves.
- [00:00:48.472]and the Senior Capstone experience is
- [00:00:50.250]supposed to bring into play things you've learned
- [00:00:52.750]throughout your time in the College of Engineering.
- [00:00:55.770]What classes have helped you the most with this project?
- [00:00:58.290]Yeah, so a lot of the design process,
- [00:00:59.760]we utilized CAD a lot.
- [00:01:01.550]So, that came in very big and a lot of what we were doing
- [00:01:04.379]in the design process,
- [00:01:05.950]then also we had statics dynamics
- [00:01:08.370]and pneumatic analysis all over,
- [00:01:10.280]so a mix of those classes were used to analyze everything.
- [00:01:15.160]All the structures, make sure it wouldn't fail,
- [00:01:17.220]and make sure it's completely safe
- [00:01:18.540]for all the users that would be using.
- [00:01:20.980]Awesome, thank you.
Log in to post comments