Beatrice Downtown Redevelopment
Students meet with Beatrice leaders, tour downtown and present their recommendations.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.019](inspiring uplifting music)
- [00:00:04.200]Boosting economic growth is the aspiration
- [00:00:06.854]of many communities across Nebraska,
- [00:00:09.620]no matter how large or small,
- [00:00:12.240]and the College of Architecture
- [00:00:13.730]is happy to help Beatrice with this endeavor.
- [00:00:17.260]Professor Zhenghong Tang's community
- [00:00:19.510]and regional planning students met
- [00:00:21.600]with Beatrice community members
- [00:00:23.687]to develop a downtown revitalization plan.
- [00:00:27.910]You know, like many communities, we're struggling
- [00:00:29.220]with our Downtown, trying to find ways to revitalize it
- [00:00:31.830]and attract people to our community.
- [00:00:33.514]And we had the opportunity to partner
- [00:00:35.700]with the University of Nebraska in Lincoln
- [00:00:37.040]and Southeast Nebraska Economic Development District.
- [00:00:39.267]And we saw this as a great opportunity to work together
- [00:00:41.379]to help attract people to our community.
- [00:00:44.030]The students conducted a survey and listened
- [00:00:46.860]to the ideas and concerns of the local residents.
- [00:00:50.290]When you study the theory, you understand,
- [00:00:52.873]but when you actually get to be out there
- [00:00:54.740]and you get to interview the people,
- [00:00:55.940]and you get to see the conditions,
- [00:00:57.380]it's an entirely different experience.
- [00:00:59.790]So it's fantastic that the group
- [00:01:02.450]of students that we'll be working
- [00:01:03.380]with actually get to go out there.
- [00:01:05.130]We get to see what's going on.
- [00:01:06.400]We get to work with the software.
- [00:01:07.700]We get to utilize data.
- [00:01:09.070]We get to talk to the stakeholders and community members,
- [00:01:11.940]and really know what planning is actually all about.
- [00:01:14.620]And at the end of the day, we get a fantastic DTR.
- [00:01:17.090]Later in the semester,
- [00:01:18.390]students presented several suggestions
- [00:01:20.574]to community stakeholders for Downtown improvements.
- [00:01:24.694](inspiring uplifting music)
Log in to post comments