Explore Center New Student Enrollment
This video will provide an overview of the Explore Center and what to expect as an Undecided, Pre-Health, Pre-Law, or Pre-Engineering student.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.390]Hi, and welcome to the Explore
Center. My name is Elisa Heide
- [00:00:04.410]and I'm one of the Explore Center's
academic advisors. In this video,
- [00:00:08.490]I'm going to talk about the
Explorer Center, academics
at UNL, and your next steps
- [00:00:13.080]towards enrolling in classes.
- [00:00:15.690]The Explore Center is the academic
advising home for all undecided, pre-health
- [00:00:20.310]pre-law, and pre-engineering students
- [00:00:22.470]as well as any student working on
meeting college entrance requirements.
- [00:00:26.310]We have a staff full of academic
advisors, career advisors,
- [00:00:29.880]and academic navigators dedicated to
helping you during your time at UNL.
- [00:00:34.410]Our office is located on city campus
in Love Library South, room 1 27.
- [00:00:40.850]Students typically associate academic
advising with just picking out your
- [00:00:44.480]classes every semester,
while this is true,
- [00:00:46.910]we can help with a lot more
than just choosing classes.
- [00:00:50.270]We can help you explore
majors and careers,
- [00:00:52.730]stay on track with professional school
requirements, and generally navigate
- [00:00:56.240]college life. In the Explore Center,
- [00:00:58.550]we have required advising
through a program called the
Compass Advising Program.
- [00:01:03.470]Through this program you're required
to meet with an academic advisor
- [00:01:06.920]at least twice each semester.
- [00:01:09.380]We encourage you to connect with an
advisor within the first five weeks of the
- [00:01:12.530]semester for your first
- [00:01:15.320]In this appointment will help you through
a compass advising plan to identify
- [00:01:18.890]and work towards academic,
career, and even personal goals.
- [00:01:23.330]For example, you could say your
goal is to get an "A" in chemistry,
- [00:01:26.450]explore careers in
psychology, or join a club.
- [00:01:29.750]Whether you know exactly what career
you're interested in, are completely
- [00:01:33.320]undecided, or are really anywhere in between
our advisors can help you choose classes
- [00:01:37.820]and gain experiences that will help you
find your path while staying on track to
- [00:01:41.840]graduate in four years.
- [00:01:43.610]There are many ways to explore majors
and we listed a few examples on this
- [00:01:47.180]slide. You can take classes
towards specific majors,
- [00:01:50.330]participate in pre-health
or pre-law workshops,
- [00:01:53.390]get involved in student organizations,
or take advantage of career advising.
- [00:01:58.730]This is a graphic that shows what
requirements make up a degree at UNL,
- [00:02:03.860]Regardless of your major students
take classes towards ACE requirements,
- [00:02:07.670]college specific requirements,
major requirements, and electives.
- [00:02:12.530]ACE stands for achievement
- [00:02:15.110]And is UNL's general education program,
- [00:02:18.080]major requirements is going to include
specific classes that are required for
- [00:02:21.860]the main focus area of
your education. At UNL,
- [00:02:25.790]you also can choose a secondary
area of focus known as a minor.
- [00:02:29.330]That's going to require fewer classes
than a major. Pre-professional requirements
- [00:02:34.100]is going to include any required classes
for any professional health or law
- [00:02:40.490]One way you will learn more about
academic resources at UNL is through your
- [00:02:44.540]first course called Explore Center
Start Smart. Start Smart is a free pass/
- [00:02:49.160]no-pass course required of
all Explore Center students.
- [00:02:52.760]If all modules are
completed by the deadline,
- [00:02:55.190]you'll likely pass this
non-graded course. Being non-graded, it
- [00:02:59.050]doesn't impact your GPA, but it
does appear on your transcript.
- [00:03:02.080]So please take it seriously.
- [00:03:03.730]You'll complete this self-paced class
through a course portal called Canvas.
- [00:03:09.460]If you have not already scheduled
your academic advising meeting,
- [00:03:12.940]make sure to do so soon through
the New Student Enrollment office,
- [00:03:16.540]after your advising meeting,
- [00:03:17.950]be sure to set up your Huskers student
email address as this will be used for
- [00:03:21.940]all UNL communication.
- [00:03:24.310]Check out our
- [00:03:27.640]to start learning more about your
options for majors and careers.
- [00:03:31.720]For more information about
Huskers email or next steps,
- [00:03:34.660]please reach out to the
New Student Enrollment
- [00:03:36.640]office at nse.unl.edu.
- [00:03:42.840]And that's all the info I have for you
today about your next steps at UNL.
- [00:03:46.680]We are so excited for you
to start your journey.
- [00:03:48.960]If you have any questions
about the Explore Center,
- [00:03:51.480]please give us a call at (402)
472-3605. Have a great day.
Log in to post comments