Calculating Standard Deviation and Standard
Learn about Standard Deviation and Standard Error and why they are important in research. Then we will go through how to calculate each.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:07.560]So the goal is to create a bar graph,
- [00:00:09.940]which will look like this, of the average Biomulch remaining
- [00:00:13.550]in the soil for each of the treatments,
- [00:00:16.140]and we want that graph to include standard error bars.
- [00:00:19.640]So I have my two treatments, my two biodegradable fabrics,
- [00:00:24.130]and I have the mass of Biomulch remaining in the soil
- [00:00:27.840]at zero, six and 12 months for all four replicates.
- [00:00:32.530]So I'm going to show you, in this first video,
- [00:00:35.180]just how to calculate the average standard deviation
- [00:00:38.580]and standard error.
- [00:00:39.960]So here's one of my treatments and so to get the average.
- [00:00:44.120]Let me just delete that.
- [00:00:45.930]All I have to do is equals, open parenthesis.
- [00:00:51.170]Sorry, equals, AVERAGE, open parenthesis
- [00:00:55.800]and then I highlight my four replicates,
- [00:01:00.010]and I hit Enter, and I have my average.
- [00:01:02.990]To calculate the other two, six and 12 months,
- [00:01:06.650]just click and drag over.
- [00:01:09.860]So to get the standard deviation, it's equals,
- [00:01:14.630]S-T-D-E-V and then open parenthesis
- [00:01:20.090]and again, I highlight the mass
- [00:01:22.530]for the four replicates, and I hit Enter,
- [00:01:28.270]and I'll click and drag
- [00:01:31.690]and to get the standard error,
- [00:01:34.390]it's going to be equals, open parenthesis,
- [00:01:39.470]and then I'm going to highlight my standard deviation,
- [00:01:45.210]and then we're going to put
- [00:01:50.530]in a forward slash 'cause we're going to divide by,
- [00:01:54.770]and then we're going to open parenthesis.
- [00:01:57.520]We want the square root function.
- [00:01:59.570]So SQRT, another parenthesis, and then we want four
- [00:02:05.850]because we have four replicates,
- [00:02:09.200]and then we need to close all of our parenthesis,
- [00:02:14.690]and we hit Enter, and we have our standard error,
- [00:02:19.500]and then we just click and drag over to get our other ones,
- [00:02:24.120]and so that is going to wrap up this video
- [00:02:27.070]and in the next video, we will create our bar graph.
Log in to post comments