2022 SECD Research Roundup - Kendall Willems
Kendall Willems, a Ph.D. student in special education, discusses why she chose to pursue her Ph.D. at Nebraska and how she hopes research enhances her clinical psychology skills.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.000]Originally, I had my bachelor's in psychology.
- [00:00:03.636]I knew I wanted to do something in that field.
- [00:00:07.107]And I loved working with children as well.
- [00:00:09.642]So, I knew somehow I wanted to blend the two.
- [00:00:11.978]My first degree was applied behavioral analysis.
- [00:00:15.081]And I loved it, so then I became
- [00:00:17.584]a Board-Certified Behavioral Analyst.
- [00:00:19.652]And then I was deciding, do I want to
- [00:00:22.188]expand on that or do I want to go
- [00:00:24.791]more clinically?
- [00:00:26.026]And so then I decided I do want to have
- [00:00:28.395]a clinical background in psychology,
- [00:00:31.364]so then I got my second master's for
- [00:00:33.466]clinical psychology.
- [00:00:35.435]And what brought me to Nebraska was kind of like
- [00:00:38.938]embedding the two together.
- [00:00:40.807]So, being able to
- [00:00:42.709]work with children with autism,
- [00:00:45.278]young children with autism, and then also
- [00:00:48.248]apply some
- [00:00:49.749]realm of psychology education into it
- [00:00:53.186]and mix the applied
- [00:00:55.555]practical side with research.
- [00:00:58.925]So, kind of full circle, but
- [00:01:01.861]what really drew me to Nebraska was the idea that
- [00:01:04.497]I could do something that mixes both of them together
- [00:01:08.068]instead of just choosing one path.
- [00:01:10.937]I know I want to create an intervention
- [00:01:13.039]for young children with autism.
- [00:01:14.741]I know I want to do something with
- [00:01:16.743]the home literacy environment with
- [00:01:19.212]reading development,
- [00:01:21.047]but in terms of
- [00:01:23.483]research in particular, I don't know
- [00:01:25.151]because I always see myself doing maybe a
- [00:01:27.554]a 50-50 of research and application.
- [00:01:29.989]The idea that I can
- [00:01:31.324]use knowledge from research to help
- [00:01:34.094]enforce and inform what I do
- [00:01:36.896]clinically and practically I think is
- [00:01:39.065]the best of both worlds.
Log in to post comments