From the Page to the Stage: Modeling to Scale
Working with miniatures is a big part of producing "The Way to the Way."
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.976](cheerful music)
- [00:00:14.290]I did theater in high school, and I really liked it.
- [00:00:16.620]I knew I wanted to do something in art,
- [00:00:18.430]so I kind of fell into scenic design.
- [00:00:20.140]I kinda like painting, I kinda like theater,
- [00:00:23.840]I guess I'll give it a try
- [00:00:24.673]and I really fell in love with it.
- [00:00:26.170]The models are for mainly communication,
- [00:00:28.810]so we use them as designers to communicate space
- [00:00:32.200]with a director and also communicate space to ourselves
- [00:00:35.300]as we start putting things in space,
- [00:00:37.560]and seeing how traffic can move through it and stuff.
- [00:00:40.870]There's this period of time
- [00:00:42.280]where you don't have the set built and you're in rehearsals,
- [00:00:45.550]and so you're trying to communicate to the cast
- [00:00:47.750]this is what you have to work with.
- [00:00:49.300]And so a scale model is made
- [00:00:50.810]for everyone involved with the production
- [00:00:52.390]to be able to reference and to understand what a person
- [00:00:55.480]is positioned inside of that set.
- [00:00:58.020]I find it super rewarding and super cool
- [00:01:00.470]when I got to sit and grill over something
- [00:01:03.040]with my teeny little hands for so long,
- [00:01:05.580]and then to build it and have painted it
- [00:01:07.690]and see it with actors on it and those stage lights,
- [00:01:10.060]it's just really cool to be like, oh, that was so cool,
- [00:01:13.070]I helped make that.
- [00:01:14.390]It's really rewarding, and I really enjoy that part.
Log in to post comments