3 Questions with Ronnie | Career Fair
Chancellor Ronnie Green chats with Director of Career Services Tracy Lungrin and student Mo Komi about UNL Career Fairs which bring roughly 400 employers to campus twice yearly.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.000](upbeat music)
- [00:00:03.920]So Tracy you put on a number of career fairs
- [00:00:06.440]during the year for our students
- [00:00:08.110]at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln,
- [00:00:09.700]got one going on right today.
- [00:00:12.407]How many potential employers
- [00:00:14.620]or connections do we bring to campus for our students?
- [00:00:18.280]In our university career fairs
- [00:00:19.600]we try to get as many career interest areas
- [00:00:22.780]as possible represented.
- [00:00:24.130]Today is like marketing management, arts and media.
- [00:00:27.830]Tomorrow will be IT, analytics.
- [00:00:30.340]The next day will be more engineering, construction, STEM
- [00:00:33.610]and then our one on East Campus
- [00:00:35.430]will be ag, food, and environment.
- [00:00:37.860]I think we're close to 400 employers in the fairs.
- [00:00:42.470]So Mo you're a student, what's career fairs for you?
- [00:00:46.070]What's that mean for you?
- [00:00:47.900]The career fair itself is really great
- [00:00:50.410]in that you can find a whole range
- [00:00:52.870]of employers all within your career focus.
- [00:00:55.060]It's also a rare thing to have so many opportunities
- [00:00:57.360]just waiting for you to kind of put your best face forward.
- [00:01:00.300]So I personally like it because I get to practice
- [00:01:03.890]like my interpersonal skills and interviewing skills.
- [00:01:07.530]Really, I think you get out of it, what you put in.
- [00:01:10.290]So finally, Tracy, are there any kind of new
- [00:01:13.120]and innovative ways that we're connecting our students
- [00:01:16.050]to employers and careers?
- [00:01:18.980]Yes. Thank you COVID.
- [00:01:20.630]We now do both in person and virtual events.
- [00:01:24.970]Virtual really helps us connect to organizations
- [00:01:28.760]and employers that may not be able to travel here
- [00:01:30.770]which is pretty cool.
- [00:01:31.603]It's also been able to help us connect to alumni
- [00:01:34.890]that wanna meet our students and mentor our students.
- [00:01:37.600]Also just our Handshake platform.
- [00:01:40.120]They're doing a really great job of figuring out
- [00:01:42.320]how to do more ways of creating digital relationships
- [00:01:47.260]between students and employers.
- [00:01:49.450]And I think the other thing that I'm really excited
- [00:01:51.230]about are some of the smaller
- [00:01:52.860]career meetups that we're doing
- [00:01:54.470]which are more like informal networking events
- [00:01:57.380]organized around a specific career interest
- [00:02:00.480]or even around an identity group,
- [00:02:03.110]such as our pride in the workplace event for LGBT students.
- [00:02:07.890]So it's been great to learn
- [00:02:08.723]about the career fairs that we put on
- [00:02:10.760]through the year where we connect our students to employment
- [00:02:15.120]and their futures.
Log in to post comments