Safety and Health on Campus
Natalie, UNL student, and her mom, Pam, give some health and safety tips.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:04.060]So now me and my mom are kind of gonna talk
- [00:00:06.410]about like safety things, health things,
- [00:00:08.900]just things that you've learned through all of us that make
- [00:00:12.530]you feel better as a parent while we're on campus.
- [00:00:14.940]Yeah, I mean keeping your child safe and healthy
- [00:00:17.700]on campus is a really big concern for parents.
- [00:00:20.700]And I know we found it really important to sign up
- [00:00:23.350]for UNL Parents.
- [00:00:24.520]That way we felt like we were being informed of things
- [00:00:26.810]that were going on campus, going on.
- [00:00:28.915]And we could also encourage Natalie to take advantage
- [00:00:31.600]of those things too.
- [00:00:33.386]I put in her dorm address and the dorm building phone number
- [00:00:38.380]in our phone, security in our phone.
- [00:00:40.090]Those were things that were really important.
- [00:00:42.158]Encouraging your student to sign up for the alerts,
- [00:00:45.070]the campus alerts,
- [00:00:45.990]should there be something that they need to shelter in place
- [00:00:48.860]on campus, and they would be alerted.
- [00:00:50.540]And security also.
- [00:00:51.670]If they have a problem, then they can contact
- [00:00:53.652]them right away.
- [00:00:55.381]On a side note, I follow Instagram,
- [00:00:58.180]several UNL things and have really enjoyed that.
- [00:01:01.520]And you get a lot of really great news about what's going on
- [00:01:03.830]on campus and her particular college has a lot
- [00:01:06.593]of information and I feel like I really am kind of
- [00:01:09.870]in the know.
- [00:01:10.703]So that's been fun.
- [00:01:11.920]Sometimes she's more in the know than I feel like I am.
- [00:01:14.160]So she always keeps me involved.
- [00:01:16.060]You know, when it comes to safety
- [00:01:17.420]with your student on campus,
- [00:01:18.740]I think having that open line
- [00:01:20.190]of communication is really important.
- [00:01:21.700]We've always tried to talk to our kids.
- [00:01:23.200]We have five daughters and one son.
- [00:01:24.770]So we're pretty invested in all of this.
- [00:01:27.185]You want to talk to them about ways to keep themselves safe,
- [00:01:29.700]like walking in pairs on campus, can't always happen,
- [00:01:32.150]but mostly at night, that's really important.
- [00:01:35.023]Watching their drinks, staying alert,
- [00:01:37.963]being aware of their surroundings and trusting that gut,
- [00:01:41.800]because they know and they should know when they need
- [00:01:44.200]to remove themselves from a situation that feels like
- [00:01:46.460]it might be getting out of hand
- [00:01:47.900]or feels unsafe for some reason.
Log in to post comments