Novel Multi-rotor Deployment Mechanism Design for a Carrier Aircraft
2021 Research Symposium
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:02.070]Hi, this is Bryan Melendez. I'm
a student, I'm a mechanical
- [00:00:06.300]engineering student of the University
of Puerto Rico in Mayaguez.
- [00:00:11.370]Uh, I'm doing research, in
- [00:00:13.860]the University of Nebraska
Lincoln and the Nimbus lab,
- [00:00:18.300]Nebraska Intelligent MoBile
Unmanned System (NIMBUS) Lab
- [00:00:25.920]I'm going to be discussing
my research project,
- [00:00:28.590]which is titled Novel Multi-rotor
- [00:00:32.370]Design for a Carrier Aircraft.
- [00:00:34.470]So this is my poster and I'm going
to be going through it as I talk.
- [00:00:40.050]Uh, so first the motivation
of this research
- [00:00:43.890]because of the lack of UAV
research and deployment, uh,
- [00:00:48.510]the reason this research is being done,
about, carrier drone deploying,
- [00:00:53.040]mini drones act as the mothership
- [00:00:57.360]So this security around the
deployment mechanism and,
- [00:01:02.790]previous work in the Nimbus
lab has been done, uh,
- [00:01:06.540]with a pin-pulling
mechanism. But this, uh,
- [00:01:10.080]this mechanism is in,
- [00:01:12.840]it isn't as effective as
- [00:01:17.430]get, like,
- [00:01:18.690]we want a better deployment mechanism,
- [00:01:22.470]and this is what I'm trying to
prove where my research,
- [00:01:26.730]also, we want to figure out how many combinations of
drone we can carry with the
- [00:01:31.470]mothership we're going to be using.
a little bit of the background,
- [00:01:35.850]Fixed-wing [inaudible],
uh, have good range and,
- [00:01:40.860]but we're going to be using
a multi-rotor as the carrier
- [00:01:45.570]and also, multi-rotor deployable drones.
- [00:01:49.590]So now the reason for this
- [00:01:54.150]is that we want better payload capacity,
- [00:01:56.130]and drones have better Creole
capacity than fixed-wing aircraft,
- [00:02:01.380]uh, fixed [inaudible].
- [00:02:06.780]deployment mechanism for [inaudible], uh,
- [00:02:11.250]it's really scarce due to complexity
of weight and symmetric constraints,
- [00:02:17.190]and there's limited amount
of carrier drones.
- [00:02:21.300]So in the future, we will
want to expand on this and,
- [00:02:25.800]and get a better carrier mothership,
- [00:02:28.020]so it can carry more than
20 kilograms and more
- [00:02:32.700]drones. And that way we
can also improve, uh,
- [00:02:36.030]frames of deployment mechanism
and the deployment mechanisms.
- [00:02:40.110]So in this research and we will use. And
- [00:02:45.010]before that, in this photo,
we see the deployment.
- [00:02:47.790]I got to think concept previously
- [00:02:51.390]and now in the,
- [00:02:52.860]I'm going to go through the process
of the new deployment mechanism.
- [00:02:56.820]So we collected data shown
in table 1. when we can
- [00:03:01.660]see the weight of the drones
batteries and the payload. So, uh,
- [00:03:06.130]the combination
- [00:03:10.660]of we calculated the
combination of the payload,
- [00:03:14.050]the weight of the battery
and the weight of the drone.
- [00:03:16.600]So we can know how much
our, uh, carrier drone is.
- [00:03:21.520]Uh, it could carry in
- [00:03:25.240]like those are the
results we want. So, uh,
- [00:03:28.870]so we develop a system were have,
- [00:03:33.130]or carry around this, uh, DJI Matrice,
- [00:03:35.620]600 pro or M600 as the caarrier drone.
And we have two,
- [00:03:40.360]uh, commercial off the shelf (COTS), drones
know as flame wheels.
- [00:03:44.980]So the ones, uh, that appear here,
- [00:03:48.970]this one in the meadow, it's a,
- [00:03:51.070]a F550,
- [00:03:54.100]and this one's are F330.
So those are deployable.
- [00:03:59.170]Uh, so based on this, uh,
- [00:04:04.150]concept of figure two is
the concept use with the pin-pulling
- [00:04:09.130]mechanism in the previous research,
and we want to expand on this.
- [00:04:13.180]So the way we thought in the
odd process on this new,
- [00:04:17.800]the sign shown in figure 3.,
is that we have, um, better.
- [00:04:22.820]So we have better understanding
- [00:04:26.530]of the alignment of the
drones and we have symmetry.
- [00:04:29.530]So the important thing is that this, uh,
- [00:04:32.680]old frame with the drawings and
the appointment mechanism,
- [00:04:36.010]it's gotta be or to
the carrier drone. So,
- [00:04:45.070]it's gonna retain her. And then like,
- [00:04:48.220]this is the solenoid drop mechanism.
So we improve on the pin-pulling mechanism,
- [00:04:52.990]So solenoid drop mechanism.
So the solenoid, uh,
- [00:04:57.850]uses a piston to push out
the drone and it's activated
- [00:05:02.470]manually by a ground station. So
we're going to have a ground station,
- [00:05:07.150]and we're going to indicate when we want
to drop the drops and which drones we
- [00:05:11.380]want to drop. This concept was made,
uh, for a maximum of six drones,
- [00:05:15.580]because the maximum weight the M
600 pro can carry,
- [00:05:20.740]is a maximum 10 kilograms. So
we don't want to exceed, uh,
- [00:05:26.260]we don't want to exceed more
than 10 kilograms, like, uh,
- [00:05:31.230]the capacity is 20 pounds,
and we can't go pass that,
- [00:05:35.890]uh, that pound limit. So here we can
see the solenoid drop mechanism.
- [00:05:40.930]So for our results,
- [00:05:46.570]basically, we use the
weights, and out of,
- [00:05:51.610]all the weights we got and all
the data, we figured that,
- [00:05:56.620]uh, best,
- [00:05:58.490]best is only four combinations we
can do with this carrier drone.
- [00:06:03.200]Uh, so the maximum weight they can
take is 20 pounds.
- [00:06:08.240]this means it's limited
to four to six drones and,
- [00:06:13.970]and even three to six drones.
And as we see on the results now,
- [00:06:18.200]so no more than two, uh,
F550, like we, we,
- [00:06:23.390]when, when it's combined with F330 at our could be three,
- [00:06:28.040]F550, because
that's 9 kilograms,
- [00:06:31.130]or it needs to be no
more than 2, 550 with
- [00:06:35.840]other combinations of F330. So in our results,
- [00:06:38.780]we got four different combinations.
Uh, six, I have three F330,
- [00:06:43.370]uh, which [inaudible] for one, uh,
- [00:06:48.230]after three F330 versus
[inaudible]. And, uh,
- [00:06:52.580]in my opinion, the best combo, eh,
- [00:06:55.240]for a strong swarm
deployment is three F330 uh,
- [00:06:58.400]after journeys and two,
F550. So, yeah,
- [00:07:03.530]and the, to include, uh,
- [00:07:07.780]so this multi-rotor mechanisms are
- [00:07:12.160]limited for to the constraints
of the carrier aircraft.
- [00:07:16.750]So as the carrier aircraft
- [00:07:21.700]can carry up to 30 kilograms, we can,
- [00:07:24.610]we need to adjust our system
to that carrier aircraft.
- [00:07:29.020]The system is not universal. This is
for our carrier aircraft.
- [00:07:37.720]the novel solenoid
deployment mechanism system helps
- [00:07:42.700]make, uh, your own drops
and consistent, uh,
- [00:07:47.500]for future work though,
- [00:07:49.930]improvements need to be made
to the deployment mechanisms.
- [00:07:53.010]This is compatible with these
drones, for future work.
- [00:08:00.670]deploying more drones and, increasing the carrier UAV weight capacity is the goal.
- [00:08:04.600]this concludes my presentation.
- [00:08:07.720]I hope you have enjoyed
- [00:08:12.430]any questions, you're
free to contact me. Thank you.
Log in to post comments