She's a Scientist: Science Slam
Science students share their research stories in a campus-wide competition.
Toggle between list and paragraph view.
- [00:00:00.061]("Fresh Prince of Bel-Air Theme Song")
- [00:00:02.376]♪ Now, this is a story all about how ♪
- [00:00:04.555]♪ my life got flipped turned upside down. ♪
- [00:00:07.040]♪ So I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there. ♪
- [00:00:09.363]♪ I'll tell you how I became the UNO Science Slam Winner. ♪
- [00:00:13.500]UNO students share their science stories
- [00:00:15.580]in a campus-wide competition called Science Slam.
- [00:00:19.140]People talk about the science that they do, but not in a,
- [00:00:21.720]like, you have to do a PowerPoint
- [00:00:23.260]and go through all the bullet points and things like that.
- [00:00:25.770]I have no idea what I'm doing, but like in a good way.
- [00:00:29.420]It was fun for me to present because a lot of times,
- [00:00:31.550]you know, if I talked to my family or whatever
- [00:00:33.320]about what I'm doing, they have no idea what it is,
- [00:00:34.970]but this was an event that I actually invited my parents to
- [00:00:38.125]and they enjoyed.
- [00:00:38.958]It was really good.
- [00:00:39.960]I was a little nervous just because I had to talk.
- [00:00:43.741]Give a whole speech in front of people.
- [00:00:45.460]Due to the COVID-19 pandemic,
- [00:00:47.500]this year's Science Slam was virtual
- [00:00:49.760]and the theme was Pajama Party.
- [00:00:52.250]So I have put on my best pajama robe
- [00:00:55.800]and had a good time with it.
- [00:00:57.010]It was kind of like dressing up.
- [00:00:58.520]Even though I study the tests that are given
- [00:01:00.950]in biology classes, I
- [00:01:03.491]kind of hate the tests that are given in biology classes.
- [00:01:06.790]Science slam topics range
- [00:01:08.430]from biology exams and arachnids
- [00:01:10.730]to Martians living behind a Lincoln restaurant.
- [00:01:13.380]Are aliens hiding behind Cracker Barrel in Nebraska?
- [00:01:17.460]And I'm immediately going to tell you the answer to that.
- [00:01:21.598]And it is no.
- [00:01:22.810]For the first time
- [00:01:23.780]in the competition's history,
- [00:01:25.310]all the participants were women.
- [00:01:27.370]It's really cool to see more women being represented
- [00:01:30.360]in research and to change kind of the perception
- [00:01:33.450]of who does research.
- [00:01:34.440]Because all of us were very different
- [00:01:35.950]from very different backgrounds,
- [00:01:37.100]and we work on very different projects.
- [00:01:39.294]♪ I face the world a smarter way. ♪
- [00:01:43.920]This year's winner explained
- [00:01:45.170]how she uses math to write music.
- [00:01:48.070]So I won, which felt really great.
- [00:01:51.020]I think all the presentations were great.
- [00:01:52.610]I value that skill of being able to present mathematics
- [00:01:56.800]to people who are not familiar with the discipline.
- [00:01:58.560]And so it feels really good.
Log in to post comments